Hosted by Matt Leese
Grex AB's
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 09:40 PM UTC
This past Saturday I had the pleasure of attending an Airbrushing class sponsored by Grex and the LHS, Panther Hobbies. I am a complete noobie to the world of air brushing. Up until Saturday's class it was a hairy stick & a rattle can to complete a kit. The class was taught by sales rep Bryant Dunbar. Each participant received a 1/72 Airfix Spitfire (a nice kit BTW) to practice on. We were taught pre-shading panel lines using Tamiya paints. My lines were quite wiggly but after a few attempts they were semi straight. I was impressed with how easy the Grex was to use. It had all the features of a double action AB but had the ease of a simple trigger pull. Then it was off to painting the bottom of the Spitfire and doing panel highlights. The pre-shading turned out nice ! Then it was off to poster tack masking for the camouflage. A nice technique and quick process. The little Spit while not a prize winner was nice first effort.
Cleaning the AB was a simple affair as long as you did it right.
Needless to say, I came home with the complete Grex,GCK03 system. The TG3 AB, a very quiet compressor, gauge, hose, DVD. A very good value considering I was starting from scratch. Bryant stressed Grex's customer support which sealed the deal for me.
Like all things you get better by doing ! So my spray cans are now retired and I will be growing my skills by working on less than stellar unpainted but finished kits.
Thank you Bryant for taking me to the next level ! And thank you Marko & Mira for sponsoring the event !
Anybody else out there a Grex fan ???
Tom
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 10:18 PM UTC
Can you post a photo of your build? I'm always looking for a better ab.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 10:44 PM UTC
Upon my return to model building (about 18 months ago), I took a chance and purchased the following gear.

Grex Combo Kit with Tritium TG Airbrush (TG-2 0.2mm Nozzle) & AC1810 Compressor

Grex G-Mac Micro Air Control Valve w/quick disconnect air coupler

I particularly like the pistol-grip style handle on this model AB!

I'm very pleased to say, I haven’t had any issues thus far …. except for my own!

—mike
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 10:36 AM UTC
Matt, I'd love to post a few photos of the little Spit but honestly I just don't know how to do it.
Mike, thanks for re-affirming that I made the right move.
I had to take my game to the next level and the Grex system seems to be the vehicle to do it.
Tom
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 10:44 PM UTC
Tom,

My first 2 airbrushes are Iwatas. My 2 newer ones are Grex. So is my "fish tank quiet" instant-on compressor. There are hordes of experienced modelers that I've seen come to Armorcon just to try and buy a Grex airbrush. I can't recommend them highly enough. I have the XT and the XN. Also, definitely follow Mike's advice and get the MAC valve with quick disconnect. It changes your life when you can make instant air pressure adjustments at the airbrush.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 11:00 PM UTC
Thanks Matt !
The MAC Valve is part of the whole package, the GCK03 system. The only thing not included is the time to use it!
One day soon I hope !
Tom
 _GOTOTOP