_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
DML 1/144 kits
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 345 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 - 02:56 AM UTC
So recently I've been bit by the 1/144 bug. Aside from the fact that the kits are relatively cheap, they're small and take up little room. Plus I can get 2 kits or more kits in one box in many cases. I've been working on aircraft and armor. Been trying to get some DML kits as they are quite good in the scale. Personally I really like the Panzer Korps line. My questions, why has DML stopped producing as much 1/144 and have they completely stopped their Panzer Korps line? If so, why? I know 1/144 isn't too popular a scale because it's so small. Should we try to get them producing it again?
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 - 03:30 AM UTC
If I remember correctly the 1/144 scale was used in table top wargaming, and now I believe it has move to 1/100 scale, and it seems Zvezda has fulling moved in at this scale.

And also in a weird scale, Italeri has started a 1/56 scale line for table top gaming.

MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 345 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 - 03:34 AM UTC
Yeah I've heard of the wargaming sector with 1/144. Couldn't phase me with that. Heck I barely know how to play a game with sports trading cards even though I have like over hundred hockey cards. I just collected them. And actually I showed a couple friends my StuG I made and they were pretty amazed at it. So I think just the factor that it's so small and amazing might interest people into trying it. Even if it's just once.

And actually I'd use 1/144 more for diorama building. You can fit a lot of models in once small space and have a good looking scene.
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
entire network: 1,049 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 - 04:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...... My questions, why has DML stopped producing as much 1/144 and have they completely stopped their Panzer Korps line? If so, why? I know 1/144 isn't too popular a scale because it's so small. Should we try to get them producing it again?

Hey Michael,

I suspect it's pretty much as Kevin has said. 15mm is the predominant "small" wargaming scale made hugely popular by Flames of War and Battlefront. 15mm is basically 1/100.

In the past many gamers used 1/144th vehicles and aircraft with 15mm troops but Battlefront has some much available now most I know (read all) no longer use 1/144 armour. Probably it's the market shift and poor sales that changed DMLs direction.

Kevin - yeah 1/56th is an odd scale. Tied up with 28mm which is the larger skirmish wargame size. It's messy as figures have got bigger and bigger, no one can agree on vehicle size and accuracy is mostly very poor. However it's grown fast, Warlord Games produced a rules set called Bolt Action and now their whole business is supported by sales in that line, it's so popular. They made a tie in with Italeri last year to have them produce vehicles in 1/56th for them in injection plastic and the usual suspects have been produced, Panther, Tiger, Sherman and Cromwell.

cheers
Brent
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 - 02:39 PM UTC
Take into account Dragon's recent foray into bobbleheads and slow production of military vehicles. I believe they are trying to branch out at the expense of production of military miniatures.
 _GOTOTOP