History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
WHy Germany invaded Africa?
Timlo
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 150 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 03:13 PM UTC
Hi guys,i have a question,why did Germany invaded North Africa?
Thanks
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 03:29 PM UTC
Because they are german.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 03:31 PM UTC
Oh also, because there were Italians. #:-)
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 719 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 03:32 PM UTC
Actually :-)

Germany didn't invade Africa... they took over the battle to help out their Italian allies.

Hitler sent the 10th 15th and 21st Panzer divisions to Afica to help Mussolini save some face. The British were pushing the Italians across the desert, and Hitler tried to put a stop to it.....

Once committed - they were stuck there...

HTH-
Nelson
Timlo
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 150 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 04:44 PM UTC
good answer for SS 74
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 06:25 PM UTC
Help Italian Allies, Suez Canal and access to Mesopotamia and the OIL FIELDS... and probably Hitler's desire to tweak the British Lion's tail.

Neill
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 08:18 PM UTC
JrNelson is right, they did not invaded North Frica. They went there to help their Italian allied. Unfortunately I have to say that there was no strategy at all in what we Italians did in Africa during the war. For sure the only one thing we were interested in, on top of what we had at the beginning of the war, was Egypt. I think I can exclude that we had any ambiton on Middle East...
Ciao
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 09:33 PM UTC
I always thought Mussolini invaded Nth Africa as he wanted an empire like that of Britan and France, He invaded what is now Ethiopia in '37 i think but was beaten by a rag tag army trained by British advisors at this time the Ethiopain airforce had I think 1 or 2 planes and that was it. Also I think they used chemical weapons against the locals you can see a program about this from time to time on the history channel
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 09:36 PM UTC
An interesting question, but shouldn't this be in the 'History' section?...Jim
APbullet
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
entire network: 236 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:28 PM UTC
Helping the Italians was just an excuse for Hitler's strategy. He wanted the oil fields. Therefore he invaded Russia and Africa. When both armies reached the oil fields, one from the north one from the west he would have got all the oil he needed for his army. And if he succeded the war would have given a very different outcome i guess.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:35 PM UTC
AFAIK, the plan was to deny the use of the Suez from the Allies and then rush up towards Palestine and into Iraq with its oil. Or at least that was what the Allies feared Nazi Germany would do had the Afrikan Korps' advanced not halted.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:39 PM UTC
The germans also had insurgents trained to whip up a revolt against the British in Iraq,
and I think they also had Indian ex-pows and exiles trained ready to go and cause bother in india. it would have been interesting had he got the oil fields in the middle east before the summer of 1942 how the battle for Russia would have went as there would have been no real reason for the germans to push towards the soviet oil fields and continue the offensives that were under way before Hilter ordered the push to the south east
mikeli125
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:39 PM UTC
The germans also had insurgents trained to whip up a revolt against the British in Iraq,
and I think they also had Indian ex-pows and exiles trained ready to go and cause bother in india. it would have been interesting had he got the oil fields in the middle east before the summer of 1942 how the battle for Russia would have went as there would have been no real reason for the germans to push towards the soviet oil fields and continue the offensives that were under way before Hilter ordered the push to the south east
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 03:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually :-)

Germany didn't invade Africa... they took over the battle to help out their Italian allies.

Hitler sent the 10th 15th and 21st Panzer divisions to Afica to help Mussolini save some face. The British were pushing the Italians across the desert, and Hitler tried to put a stop to it.....

Once committed - they were stuck there...

HTH-
Nelson

I'm in complete agreement with you there. Whenever Germany invades a certain country, there are certain interests it wants to satisfy (like Lebensraum). But in the case of North Africa, he did it to help Mussolini.

Mussolini, like Hitler tried (in vain) to rebuild the Roman Empire. Trouble is his blustery speeches do not match the quality of the Italian forces in this campaign (plus that failed attempt to invade Greece). Hitler, apparently, playing "big brother" to Mussolini had to intervene and bail his freund out.