Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
ROTC Cadets
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:49 AM UTC
How many ROTC Cadets are here on Armorama. What branch of service is the program sponsored by that you are involved in. I am just curious who some of our future Leaders are.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2004 - 08:47 AM UTC
I had a thought. What do the other great countries have that is like our ROTC program here in the US? I have often wondered what the different countries do to encourage their youths to National pride and desire to serve their countries.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 01:12 AM UTC
whats rotc cadets?

we have a number of national cadet forces, army cadets, air training corps, sea cadets etc

i used to be in the atc, we were a more combat trained squadron than most though!

cheers

joe
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 04:55 AM UTC
Here in the US ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Corps). These are in sopme opf our High schools and in the colleges around the country. Along with normal acedemics they are taught drill and ceremony. Military history. Those that complete the college level ROTC programs are eligible for certain commisons as Officers in the chosen branch of service.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 08:14 PM UTC
oh ok,

our cadet forces work the similarly, except ours although some are in grammer schools etc, most are voluntary, and as well as the activities you mentioned we learnt,

shooting-small bore target, large bore target, then L98s and SA80's if you were good
enough, (i was #:-) )
field craft-camoflage+concealment, escape and evasion etc

flying and gliding-RAF light trainers, and motor gliders, experience flights in various RAF
and army aircraft (transports and heli's mainly)
vehicle recognition-aircraft and afv's mainly

first aid-im a qualified first aider because of it, and we learned battle field 1st aid too!

we spent a lot of time on RAF and other facilities, and participated in execises etc

cadets also get preferencial treatment when applying for any of the forces, or police etc

cheers

joe
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 02:49 AM UTC
I am an ROTC cadet. 247th Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps, Model Battalion Alpha One Midshipman Shonen Red reporting!!
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 04:10 PM UTC
Do you plan to serve in the Navy when you graduate Shonen. My Daughter was an Army ROTC Cadet in High School. She never went in the service though. She got run over by a car in her senior year and her injuries disqualified her from service. I'm still very proud of her. She is now in her mid thirtys and still knows her manual of arms. Being a GI Brat kind of rubs off on ya.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 12:20 AM UTC
Nah, I think not. I am proud to be a reserve. I can still help in the military if ever I graduate from my engineering course. I really plan to be a military engineer and work in Lockheed, McDonnell-Douglas etc. Hehehe... a very fictional ambition.

BTW, our unit has been assigned to the Advance General Tactical Inspection (AGTI). My unit will perform a pass in review while I will participate in fieldstripping of the M-16A1. I really like it.

animal, good thing your daugther wanted to be in service. Too bad she never made it I'm so sorry to hear that. Good thing she recovered and I'm surprised that she still knows the basic drills in her age!
Yari
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 78 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 02:02 PM UTC
Thanks to Gen. MacArthur, I had to spend my Sundays under the scorching Philippine sun for four semesters. My "officers" never gained my respect, but it's a case of drinking quenching water from a dirty cup. I will still support the need to continue the ROTC program! Go Air Force Reserve!!!
sniperwolf
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 86 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 04:59 PM UTC
Well Im joining the NJROTC next year (9th grade offers it)
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:41 PM UTC
Good for you sniperwolf. If your school offers it it can be rewarding experience for you. You never know but you could actually like it.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 06:04 PM UTC
I was in JROTC (Army) four years in high school. Never did go any further with it. I was a member of the state championship rifle team my junior year. I encourage all of our school aged members to look into JROTC if your high school offers it. You learn drill and ceremonies, military history, public speaking, first aid and marksmanship. I really enjoyed my years doing it.

Patrick
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:24 PM UTC
Well, our ROTC training will end this April. Darn! I'll sure miss all those good ole happenings. We had drills with a real M1 and M-14, disassemble and assemble an M-16A1 during competition, fired an M-16A1, boarded a corvette, destroyer, gunboat and a frigate. On our graduation this April 3, we'll be riding aboard a V-300 and we will get our model battalion pin. I'll sure miss all of those
thenamshow
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 104 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 05:36 AM UTC
sniperwolf what school are you going to???? because some of the schools around me offer that and im going to 9th grade next year also
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2004 - 04:02 AM UTC
Almost every country in the world has (one way or the other) a program for militaey reservists. Like it or not, their reason is quite sound. To augment the regular forces when the need arises. Fortunately for us, we do not have conscription. You could just imagine what could happen if we practice that instead of reservist training.

As for me, I've completed my ROTC training 15 years ago. I'm planning on applying for a commission in the reserves (Navy). I won't mind a refresher course though. I figure it's gonna be ROTC all over again. The only difference is I'm not exactly a spry 17 year old.
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 1,036 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 12:17 AM UTC
Shonen loves his ROTC a little too much.

Remember that in the Philippines we start early in the military training of our citizens. By the age of 16 we were already marching in the afternoon heat for our Citizens Army Training later called Citizens Military Training. I went along with a friends idea to spend our summer vacation in COCC training! But would you believe that in the provinces like Mindanao we actually started CMT by 3rd year high school (that's freshman HS US equivalent) Both CAT/CMT and ROTC is compulsory for all students in the country and it is tied to the school curriculum. So very few really enjoy this program. It is a bane to most students except well for guys like Shonen and me.

Then growing upduring the late 80's when there was that hyper anti-communist drive where the streets where patrolled by Army regs and there would be "Alsa Masa" (Popular Uprising) outposts on almost every street corners. Plus you have Christian vigilantes patrolling the countryside along with the CAFGU's. I got plenty of opportunities firing those M14's, 38cal S&W, M16's and a variety of shotguns. Believe me, the first time I fired an M14 i had a fever the next day and my left ear rang for a week. (left handed) There was a time when we were not allowed to wear our OD's outside the campus for fear of being mistaken as an actual soldier and get your butt shot at. During this period, communist SPARROW units (urban assasins) where having a great time.

The only time I got to where my uniform outside was in college in Manila.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 09:29 AM UTC
I didn't know this about the Philippines. I guess that it is not for every body but I do think that it will teach discipline and build character. Thanks for sharing this info with us.
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 06:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I didn't know this about the Philippines. I guess that it is not for every body but I do think that it will teach discipline and build character. Thanks for sharing this info with us.

When I mean compulsory, it includes all "genders". We are segregated in the formation though but officers could just be anybody. I remember my sisters corps commander who was a real @!#% on the field but very cute when off the field. Man she could shout like a fishmonger on the docks. I was still in the sixth grade by then. She was a valedictorian and graduated suma cum laude. Then went off to become a nun with the Carmelites.

This is totally irrelevant to the subject of this forum.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe because of the workforce of the Philippines. There had been issues regarding hazing and fraternities in ROTC that made it become optional. Now, a lot of good people had turned their backs on ROTC because of these incidents. Good thing our university does not support hazing and fraternities so I joined up.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:45 AM UTC
im joining the marines!!! im doing rotc in college (i plan to major in political science and minor in military history)
im in 10th grade (school ends in 4 weeks so i guess almost 11th grade for me)
i'm talking to recruiters now, a major and a lt.col and also a lt. who recently completed rotc at VT (Virginia Tech-where i wanna go to college)

but yeah, i gotta another post in soldier stories forum about what i wanna do https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/29419&page=1

so yeah, marines it is for me....
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 05:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

im joining the marines!!! im doing rotc in college (i plan to major in political science and minor in military history)
im in 10th grade (school ends in 4 weeks so i guess almost 11th grade for me)
i'm talking to recruiters now, a major and a lt.col and also a lt. who recently completed rotc at VT (Virginia Tech-where i wanna go to college)

but yeah, i gotta another post in soldier stories forum about what i wanna do https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/29419&page=1

so yeah, marines it is for me....

Cool! Enjoy your years! And don't forget to post pics of your activities. Yep, marine training is both fun and hard. Considering the Marines as the "pride" of the country. During our Naval ROTC training (with a training of Marines), we made amphibious landings, fired an M-16A1, rode a Corvette, Destroyer and a Frigate, and disassemble/assemble an M-16 and an M-14. The one thing I really like is the amphibious assault. Hell, my team mates in the LAV-300 were so damn serious about that exercise that we even perform it the way a real soldier must do it. Boy, those were the days...
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 11:29 PM UTC
BTY, my university had Air Force ROTC, since I come from the south of the Philippines which is mostly Army/Navy territory my CAT/CMT was Army based. My fist year of ROTC was nutty because I got used to Army drills. So I transffered to Army by the next semester. Beside's, Airforce uniforms were too colorful form me. Red beretts and light blue shirts! Some guys wore white putees. I don't know where they fit in the picture. Probably AP's.