_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Fabrication Help
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 03:24 PM UTC
I need to make a .3mm, 3mm long grab handle. I was successful using annealed steel wire, but glue does not hold and solder won't bond. I tried using plastic rod, but it kept snapping apart, at the bend. I can't bend music wire to this small of a length and I don't believe it would stick. Can somebody give me advice on how to go about fabricating this piece?
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 04:49 PM UTC
Have you tried 0.3mm brass wire? That's my first choice for such applications (and it solders) but Plastruct makes a styrene rod in 0.25mm or 0.3mm which tends to hold bends OK in my experience.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 09:39 PM UTC
I find brass wire is best for grab handles etc, as Bob says. If you try to bend plastic rod too tight it tends to crack. If the curve is gentle enough you can wrap it round something (to preserve the shape) and dunk it in hot water to "train" it to the bend - just dunk it in cold water after to "set" the new shape! However, this only works if you can bend it to the right shape in the first place - right-angles are still a no-no.

If you can't find thin brass wire, try looking at model train shops, or online at Walthers.com.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 12:01 AM UTC
The bends are too close together for plastic. I'll see if I can source brass wire.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 10:29 PM UTC
Matt, I think either Lion Marc or Lion Roar have very small .02 .03mm wire. I usually get it from Lucky Model.

HTH
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 09:05 PM UTC
Another option if you happen to have any junk kids toys or old electronics around with electric motors in them is to salvage the copper windings from inside. Pop the end of the outer casing off, it's often just two tabs crimped over, and depending on the size of the motor the wire diameter may be just what you need.
Unwind, snip a piece off, roll between two flat surfaces to straighten it, and you're on your way. It's Stiffer than solder but softer than brass.
As a matter of fact the smallest wire I've been able to find,
.005", came out of the motors from a CD player.

Sean
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 10:07 PM UTC
Unfortunately, none of my salvage is large enough.
 _GOTOTOP