_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Using industrial Air compressors?
tenchu11
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 37 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2015 - 02:08 PM UTC
I saw at my local hardware store relatively small compressors that have a built in 2gal air tank. I'm assuming atlong as I have a reliable air regulator It should work for Air brushing right? Figured it holds more air than smaller hobby compressor/tanks and I can use it around the house and garage. Anyone have any good results using an industrial compressor? Its about the same price if not less than an IWata or badger one. $130.00
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2015 - 02:16 PM UTC
I used one of those, with my first ab. Make sure you get a water trap, as well. Other than that, they work just fine.
ejhammer
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 230 Posts
KitMaker Network: 59 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2015 - 09:27 PM UTC
Having been in the construction business, I've owned and used everything from 1/2 horse X 2 gallon tank to 7 horse gasoline engine X 30 gallon tank compressors. These were worked hard and I never had one fail. All of them will work. For modeling use, noise, cost and size would be important. When I retired, I chose a 1/2 horse X 7 gallon tank, electric motor driven compressor. My criteria? I already owned it, it was the right size and fairly quiet. Any compressor will work, but should have a good regulator, filter and moisture trap. These can be separate units or combo units. Tank sizes 2 gallon and up, will provide a larger reservoir for air, the larger tanks will require the compressor to cycle on and off less, and provide a more even feed to the regulator. They can also be used around the house. Often, you can get compressor outfits that include hose, regulators and a small nail gun or brad gun for very reasonable cost.

Here's my spray set up. The booth I built myself and is sized to fit a 1/350 scale aircraft carrier.

EJ
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 371 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 02:00 AM UTC
I use a 1.5hp with a 25 litre tank. It is noisy when it runs, but once the tank is full (100psi) it shuts off and stays off until the pressure drops to 60psi. With 100psi in the tank I can actually turn it off and get a pretty long spraying session before it is completely empty if I don't want the regulator kicking in again.

It provides a constant even air supply and I run it through a two stage filter/regulator.
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 02:51 AM UTC
a pressure regulator and a coalescing filter set up is a must.

once you have that rig, your air supply can be anything out there.
Before I had a compressor, I had an old 40lb stainless steel water fire extinguisher. I'd take it to a local garage and fill it up to 120psi. The guys at the garage were totally fine with letting me charge up my fire extinguisher, they didnt know or care that there was no water in it
That was enough air to paint several models.

edmund
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 668 Posts
KitMaker Network: 211 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 02:56 AM UTC
You can use it for more things than just airbrushing . Such as nailers and pneumatic tools .
tenchu11
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 37 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 06:53 AM UTC
Got this bad boy
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j312/tenchu_11/Painting%20tools/IMG_0599.jpg
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 668 Posts
KitMaker Network: 211 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 04:57 PM UTC
I believe what you got is an oil less compressor . They use to say it had Teflon in the cylinder lining , just for durability they don't last as long as the ones with an oil sump . But they work , maybe a bit noisy but then you can mount it away from your bench and run a hose to it . That one you got can run a pneumatic nailer . It does not have balls for rotating tools or automotive tools . Does not have the CFM flow .
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 11:10 PM UTC
They work great. I have a 2 gal. tank with IIRC a 1/8 HP motor. Pressure regulator. Just don't forget to drain the condensation when you put it away.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 02:25 PM UTC
Sure it will work fine, but noisy as pointed out above.

I have had one for over ten years (not much use though) and had no problem at all.

This week I have replaced the engine with two old refrigerator compressors, which fill the tank slowly but in complete silence. It is not difficult at all, give it a chance in the future!
 _GOTOTOP