_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
FEATURE: Making Tentrolls
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 11:51 AM UTC
FAUST has contributed a nice article on making tentrolls (and bedrolls) using the age old technique that I think I learned from Shep Paine's Monogram inserts. It's great to have it on the site and with a diagram no less. Here's the link:

How to Make Tentrolls

As ussual if you have feedback or would like to talk about your own techniques for this please do so here. I use to spray my white glue mixture on if memory serves.

Thanks Faust!

Cheers,
Jim
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 01:47 PM UTC
Short and sweet, I like it. This is the kind of stuff I like to see as a novice. It is a lot easier to do something when you see it to me than just reading about it. More articles like this will help new modelers feel welcome on the site in my opinion.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 02:00 PM UTC
That's right Drew. Those articles are a real treat to newcomers.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 09:36 PM UTC
Good article, very comprehensive specially for the begginers!
Keep up the good work
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 03:40 AM UTC
You can also use TP to simulate fabric on seats or truck/jeep canopies. Simply apply a thin layer of liquid glue to the plastic and carefull cover this with the TP, pressing it into the glue and let it dry. Then, paint it as you would normally. This can look very nice. I did it on a jeep years ago and it looked just like the real thing...

The nice part of the TP thing is the vast array of things you can make this way.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 07:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can also use TP to simulate fabric on seats or truck/jeep canopies. Simply apply a thin layer of liquid glue to the plastic and carefull cover this with the TP, pressing it into the glue and let it dry. Then, paint it as you would normally. This can look very nice. I did it on a jeep years ago and it looked just like the real thing...

The nice part of the TP thing is the vast array of things you can make this way.

Plus their is allways any abundunt supply around
Jeff
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 08:51 AM UTC
Thanks very much FAUST. Drew and Eagle are absolutely correct. This kind of stuff is gold to beginners like myself. You have no idea how much it helps. If you think I am trying to encourage other experienced modelers to share their talents in little "how-to's" like this, you are absolutely correct. :-) Believe me, us "newbies" will worship the ground you walk on.

Mike

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 05:41 PM UTC
wow I never thought the trick would have such an impact
because I thought everyone knew it allready
In the future I`ll try to put up more of those tips and tricks with a diagram because they were a great help to me to when I started

I also want to thank you all for the good comments on the article

Robert "FAUST" Blokker :-)
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 02:57 AM UTC
Well the world will start laughing at this question, so please forgive me for asking but euhhhh what's TP ?
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 06:41 AM UTC
Well I think I can Help you

TP means Toilet Paper

greetz: Robert "FAUST" Blokker

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Plus their is allways any abundunt supply around
Jeff

.................and so absorbant!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 10:02 PM UTC
Very nice article Faust. I especially like the inclusion of the diagrams! :-)
Another, possibly more delicate way to moisten the TP is to use a small spray bottle filled with a water / Elmer's white glue mixture. In this way you can control the amount of moisture you apply, and the TP is more 'user-friendly' when handling, and your dry time is significantly shortened.
Additionally, another medium to use is the extra fine weave gauze pads available at hospital supply sources. Actually costs a couple of pesos (as opposed to the TP) but the look is also exceptional ( the tent/bed roll looks like it has 'heft' to it )
Another good source material for camo netting is the more open weave gauze. Turns out very nice.

Tread.

BTW, maybe someone should write an article about using different kinds of foil to make soft skins? Yogurt tops, coffee wraps, etc.? Just a thought.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 10:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

TP means Toilet Paper

I thought it means Tissue Paper cause I usually do my tentrolls using tissue; never tried toilet paper... Anyways, very nice article with very helpfull diagrams. Thanks.

Mario M.

GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 10:51 PM UTC
For advanced users of TP :-) : there's quite a few ideas on this subject in the scratchbuilding forum, too.
Jan
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 939 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 10:44 PM UTC
I don't use toilet paper, but use the kind of tissue paper used for wrapping presents etc.
You don't have to handle it so gently when wet, and it dries to a nice semi-stiff consistency like canvas or some other heavy fabric.

Great pictures with the article!

Andy
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 11:07 PM UTC
Thats what i use as well herberta. Married to a woman who is infatuated by new shoes, I make the most of that. The paper stuffed into the shoe to keep its shape is perfect. Its like some sort of tracing paper.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 04:43 AM UTC
I use ordinary facial tissue; Kleenex or similar products. I have found that it holds together much better, and has enough wight to drape realistically. Toilet paper is made to dissolve, making it far more fragile than the shoebox tissue mentioned above or facial tissue. Being easily frustrated, I use materials least likely to give me grief! :-) :-)

Greg
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 08:31 PM UTC
Yes, tissue paper has worked well for me but I am going to experiment with other papers and try gauze out as well...

MSW
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 06:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

but use the kind of tissue paper used for wrapping presents etc

I just used this to make some rolls and they turned out better than I thought I could make. On some of them to make them I wraped it around paper towels to make it thicker just for some variations. The finish on this type of paper seams to me to be more to scale for material, you don't get the particles sticking out that you get with regualar tissue (at least thats what happened when I tried to use it) and it isn't as coarse yet still has some texture. My digital camera was left at my brothers on vacation but as soon as I get it back I will post some pictures. I finished them off with oil paints and model ship building rope.
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 07:14 AM UTC
WoW !!! Short and simple, but yet very easy !!!! What else can you ask for..... I really liked your article, FAUST.....
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 08:29 AM UTC
A great article and it inspired a good discussion. So even those who have done this before probably learned something. I'm glad you posted it. Thanks
Josenhans
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 46 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 12:17 PM UTC
Thanks for the tip, it helped alot. :-)
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2002 - 12:03 AM UTC
I'd also read that "bathroom tissue" was too delicate and was designed to dissolve. I always use whatever type of Kleenex we have inthe house. I typically apply watered down white glue to this with a wide brush rather than soaking it. As someone else said, much more control in the amount of water. I've used this extensively for mantlet covers and made a couple jeep sides and tops for my M-151 collection.
 _GOTOTOP