_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
No Mask Airbrush!
diseasedspawn
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 97 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 05:28 PM UTC
I love my airbrush but the masking takes forever and some places are nearly impossible to mask effectively thus I have developed a technique that's faster and easier.

In the picture are hemostats with a cut up 3x5 card. I rounded the card to keep the corners from catching in tight spaces. I make my airbrush as small and precise as I can (smallest nozzle, thin mix, low air pressure). When spray, it's a tight beam with not enough energy to go much beyond my target area.

So far I've been successful with zero overspray. What you guys think? Anyone else think of this?

edmund
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 668 Posts
KitMaker Network: 211 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 06:18 AM UTC
Show us more .
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 06:37 AM UTC
Good idea for most applications

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 07:18 AM UTC
Clever! Show us more.
diseasedspawn
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 97 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 09:22 AM UTC
More? As for the No Mask method, it does require technique and patience. I've got some overspray but it's minimal considering the amount and speed of painting I have been doing. Three coats within 24 hours. If I masked traditionally with tape or paper I wouldn't have better results.

As for showing you guys more, below is an airbrush stand I just made so that I can put the gun down with a loaded pot without spilling it everywhere. The columns in the back sort of hold the airline to keep the gun and pot pushed forward. There is a small black protrusion providing enough imposition to keep either gun or line from slipping out of the channel. The channel itself it irregular but not closed off so that I can easily slide the brush into and out of place. I can even move the entire stand around with gun and full pot without spilling anything. After these photos were taken, I added pewter weights to the underside of the platform, the kind for wooden derby cars. About two pounds worth. They keep the stand in place when I put the brush on or take it off, but don't make it cumbersome. With legos you can build anything

edmund
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 668 Posts
KitMaker Network: 211 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 10:48 PM UTC
Nice custom airbrush stand .
 _GOTOTOP