_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Average cost of a commission build?
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 759 Posts
KitMaker Network: 131 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 08:34 PM UTC
I'm trying to get a car model built for a friend and honestly have no idea. There are some mods that need to be done, but nothing that major. Mostly custom decals.

I've seen everything ranging from $100 to $6000. What do you or have you been charged for a pretty much OOB model kit with custom decals and some body mods (adding air scoop, etc)?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 10:30 PM UTC
Here is my very unscientific pricing method. I usually charge 2-3 times the price of the kit (depending on size, subject, and difficulty) for an OOB build. For extras, depending what has to be done, usually another 1 times the price.

I don't build cars, so I can't help you out with the build.
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 08:16 AM UTC
Thanks Gino! Helpful stuff...
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 12:50 PM UTC
Don't undersell yourself. I let the buyer quote me what he or she wants to pay for a specific build. I take that into account and tell them what I am capable of, for that price. If the price is on the high end, I may throw in an extra(such as a figure).
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,063 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2015 - 07:08 AM UTC
I've done a number of commission builds and have also sold builds that were not specifically done as commission. For me pricing depends on several variables such as the price of the kit and materials at the time of the build as well as my general skill level at the time of the build. A kit I built 2-3 years ago would be less than a kit I built more recently.I also take into account the difficulty of the kit i.e. a Tamiya kit is generally priced less than a DML kit. I am not greedy but I generally price my builds at around 125-250 US. I also build mostly OOB. For comparison I know a guy who is a professional builder (he has built for private and govt clients)and his rate is 8X the cost of materials.
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2015 - 07:51 AM UTC
Just found a guy in the local IPMS chapter who will do it for $200 + materials. Sounds like a good deal to me, particularly since it's saving me the hassle of building it.

Thanks for the replies.
 _GOTOTOP