_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Info Requested on Tacoma Class Gunboats
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 554 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 08:24 AM UTC
Hi Guys,
I recently picked up a kit of the USS Tacoma gunboat off of ebay. It is a Revell kit. I believe it has been released several times under various ship names (e.g. Asheville, Defiant, etc.) I'm an Army brat, not Navy, so if I get the wrong terminology please correct me.

In doing research for my build I noticed a difference between the Asheville class and Tacoma class gunboats is that the Tacomas have a hawse hole for the anchor in the starboard bow while the Ashevilles did not. The kit has the hawse hole depicted very basically and includes molded on anchor chains on the fore deck. I will be removing the chains. My question is if the chains are released through a hawse hole in the side of the ship, would the chains necessarily have to come to the fore deck? The only pictures I've been able to find on the internet showing the foredeck in any detail are of Asheville class boats where the anchor is released from the prow and stored on deck when at sea. I have some miniature chain which will work but don't know if it is appropriate in this case. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
John
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 06:34 AM UTC
Finally found a pic that shows the deck with enough detail when zoomed in to make out the anchor chain on the fore deck of the Tacoma.
Thanks anyway guys.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 668 Posts
KitMaker Network: 211 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 07:33 AM UTC
Maybe no naval modelers here .
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 07:54 AM UTC
Hi John,

Repost your question at Model Shipwrights: http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/

I'm sure you will get a reply there.
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 08:27 AM UTC
I was logged in on model shipwrights when I posted. Not sure why it showed up here. Any thoughts?
Thanks
John
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 08:37 AM UTC
Hi John,

I snooped around and noticed that you posted in Network Forums (all sites), Modeling in General. That sends it all over the site.

That is a good choice for some questions. For something as specific as your question, I suggest going back to MSW forums and posting in Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.

_GOTOTOP