_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
IDF Sho't Kal and Merkava Mk.3D (Early)
mgbv8steve
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 26 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 07:09 PM UTC
Hello All
I'm building the above and have got to the paint stage and I have a concern.
I'm using the AK Interactive AK564 set - AK790 IDF Sinai Grey modern for the Merkava and AK792 IDF Sand Grey for the Sho't - and think that the Merkava colour is too like Dark Earth and the Sho't has turned out a light green!
I don't think they're what I'm looking for so I'm asking for help as to what paints 'our readers' are using for these two IDF beauties. I'm using acrylics as you can see, so any help with Vallejo/Tamiya or AK shades would be appreciated.
Regards,

Steve S.
mgbv8steve
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 - 05:48 PM UTC
Come on guys give me a hand here!!
I can't proceed any further without one of you out there pitching in with some decent advice ref which colours to use - preferably Lifecolor! To repeat I'm doing a Sho't Kal Gimel and a Merkave IIID (early).

Please someone respond!!!

Steve S.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 10:05 PM UTC
There's a similar thread running right now in the AFV forum.
I don't use valljo, so can't help youn on that.
I use Model Master SAC Bomber Tan cut 50/50 with Header White. Perfect match. (according to two deli owners in DFW area who served)
Alternately I've used Humbrol Khaki Drill. Michael Mass says to use #84 (Middlestone?) and of course he's in a position to know as well. However, I find the Khaki drill looks damned close to my MM mix. According to my own references (and yes photos can never give aus a true color)the mojority of photos show a distinct difference between 1973 and 1982. I find Middlestone more appropriate for '73.
At any rate, the second page of my gallery here show a few examples of my mix, if you care to have a look and decide for yourself.

mgbv8steve
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 02:02 PM UTC
Thanks Robert, that's proved very useful!
I've been following the discussion in the AFV section and there certainly is a great deal of differring opinions ref IDF colours in the various eras, but if Michael mass says its Humbrol, I certainly won't argue!!
Thanks again,

Steve S.
 _GOTOTOP