_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Morally or Legally allowed?
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 02:10 AM UTC
Saw this on ebay.....

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Customizable-cast-plaster-cobblestone-Figure-Model-Base-1-35-1-9-L-K-Quantity-/281642623792?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4193356330&autorefresh=true

This is a casting from the J's Work mold here:

Is it legal allowed or morally correct to buy a mold like this and sell the output?

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 02:22 AM UTC
If he was duplicating the mould I would say no very loudly, but in this case he is producing something and selling it and so I see no issues. In effect it is like building and painting a model and then selling it.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,194 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 02:32 AM UTC
Unless J's Work specifically prohibits the sale of casts made with their molds, I don't really have a problem with it. I don't see that this is any different than someone offering to make a cast for someone for a couple of bucks rather than making them buy the mold and plaster/resin themselves. Where I do have a problem (as should everybody) is when someone casts existing items and sells them off, whether as their own products or "legitimate" items. It's one thing to cast stuff for your own use, quite another to benefit financially from the work of others.

Kimmo
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 03:22 AM UTC
It's fine. A lot of afermarket products are actual kit parts with added/chagned/revised detail to make it 'better' or 'different'.
 _GOTOTOP