_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
Someone's Norton doesn't like the gallery
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 04:42 AM UTC
Barry Price (basers) reported in this thread Paris Rail Gun that his Norton AV was protesting about a virus when he was trying to upload to the gallery.

Anyone have any known issues with that, please?
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 03:22 PM UTC
Matthew,

I have had no end of trouble viewing pictures in Armorama posts lately. Some I can see, most I can't, and I was getting other issues, e.g. links not loading. I was running Windows 7 with IE (not Chrome, but having loaded this, there was no difference),and Norton AV. So I decided to remove Norton, and replace it with AVG. Guess what? Response is slightly improved, but I get the same issues. I suspect the problem in my case lies with the laptop. I have heard that Norton can cause issues, my advice to Barry would be to try a different AV (NOT McAffee!).
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 07:32 PM UTC
Hi Matthew,

I use Norton and have no problems with the gallery. However, last week it picked a fight with Dropbox! I suspect it grabbed another automatic update, and there was something screwy in it that took offence to whatever it is that Dropbox does behind closed doors - after I gave Norton a good kicking it decided to play nice again. That's the trouble with all AV software - there's a fine line between good & bad files etc, and it has to make judgements based on little snippets of code.

If the OP can't get around Norton, you might want to point him at Photobucket or similar.
 _GOTOTOP