_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Can a website copy my pic from the other webs
MC
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 04:35 PM UTC
Hi,
I just surf the web and find a website named Full metal jacket. And I happen to know that some of my pics of dioramas that I submit to some other websites were post there. Some other famous modeller's work were also there, like Terry Ashley, Jim Lewis. And there was a notice state that the copyright was hold by full metal jacket. I'd never submit any pics to that website and the web master didn't notice me before he post my pics on his web. Can I use the word "STEAL"? What kind of copyright he had? What can I do? Can someone tell me?
Regards
M.C. Leung
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 04:55 PM UTC
MC,
Indeed you own full rights to all your photos. If someone is using them without your consent then they are in violation of copyright laws. They may try to stand on usage by a "non-commercial" site for viewing by other people as a hobby, but this is a thin and not very legal argument. If copyright laws were that loose nothing would be protected.

Jim
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 07:49 PM UTC

Is it the Full Metal Jacket site showing tons of pics of modern arnour too? If so can you pse provide me with the link? I've lost track of it since AFV Interiors moved to its new location...
Ciao
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 08:19 PM UTC
Itīs a stupid thing to do, put someone elseīs pics on-line to your own site. It doesnīt take too much effort to ask for permission to use your pics. You can always contact the webmaster and tell them to remove your pics from their site. At least they should display YOU as the copyright holder.

It doesnīt matter which medium weīre talking about when itīs about copyrights.
NOBODY has the right over somebody elseīs work.

Itīs a sad thing if it goes to that every single picture has to be ruined with watermarks or embossed copyright markings over the whole pic to make it more difficult to steal...
There would be not much picture left to see then...

Toni
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 837 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:02 PM UTC
I have to admit i copy photos from around the web to another forum but i usuallu always put who the model is by and where i got the image from. Therefore, i have imho given the modeller his credit. If they haven't done that then you should do something about it.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:02 AM UTC
When I download pics from the net, I usually keep them for my own reference. Sometimes I find interesting pics/article I'd like to publish on my site so I contact the webmaster to ask if he agrees with that, but I never publish them without authorization.
Ciao
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:20 AM UTC
The easyness of copy/paste pictures on the net has broken any sense of copyrights unfortunately. And is difficult to do something,it has happened before and the best i could get was a sorry and my name and credits published
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 03:21 AM UTC
M.C. - In the case of Full Metal Jacket (FMJ), PC Modeler, WW2ModelMaker, and our own Armorama - I allow my photos to be posted and don't mind that PCModeler and FMJ put a copyright notice on the photo. I look at it that they're helping me out in the end. They've never "lifted" a photo from my site to display elsewhere without my permission. I'm confident that these fine sites would not "sell" works of respective individuals without permission, and I always retain the right as the owner to do with what I wish with my photos. In every instance, I contacted the webmaster or they contacted me, before my photos were displayed.

EDIT ON: I went to this site - it is not the Full Metal Jacket that we know of in the US. The link is http://fmj.pe.kr. It is difficult to navigate, but I certainly did not give them permission to use any image of mine. Apparently, neither did Terry Ashley - referencing his response over at ML. Other than contacting the owner/webmaster of the Site requesting the photo(s) be removed, I'm not sure you can do anything else other than alerting others that this has happened/or is going on.EDIT OFF

What I think would be a nice practice is if when these sites wish to place the Copyright Logo onto the photo - they also put the photo credit/owner in the same notice. I do that on my site when I wish to use someone else's photographic information as a reference - after obtaining permission. I even link their contact address (email) in case someone is more interested in the particular item.

I think you would be well within your rights to ask for that courtesy when your photos are displayed on other sites.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 11:01 PM UTC
American Full Metal Jacket Is gone was taken down!!
It's out of here!
My 2 cents!
As to being a foreign site I don't think they hold the same copy right thing like we do here!!

What ever you do don't click those move buttons on the page where it says error shut off Explorer!!
ambrose82
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 249 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 04:06 AM UTC
Copyright laws are not just about recognizing the originator but also about getting permission to use their images.

Mahross, you said you have copied and used images and have given credit, but you have not obtained permission. It's always best to have the originator's permission. He may not want his images on your site. Always Always Always get permission to re-post any image you copy.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 04:11 AM UTC
That Korean site does have cool music thought.

Jim
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 04:19 AM UTC
I have a question:
Some time ago I saw a model on another website. I had a specific question about it so I copied the picture to my MSN deal and posted a copy of it in the forums here so I could ask my question. I don't recall if the modelers name was given on the original site or not. Is that sort of thing verboten?

Shaun
 _GOTOTOP