Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Drill Instructors (DI, TI)
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 05:30 AM UTC
How many can remember their Drill Instructors names? My first DI was Staff Sgt. Manuel Rodreguiez. He was a short person with a chest full of medals. He was a Korean and Vietnam War Vet. He may have been short in height, but tall in knowledge. I will never forget him. This was back in Jan 1966.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 05:46 AM UTC
As an ROTC grad, I did not have a Drill Instructor; instead we had a TAC NCO. Mine was MSGT Guynn, a CIB combat vet with the 101st Airborne in Vietnam. He was a fair but demanding NCO, and definitely didn't tolerate an BS from some snot-nosed officer wannabe. He was a very memorable man.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 06:40 AM UTC
I had Sgt Keelor and Cpl Uden both of the RAOC the Cpl could be very nasty when his mood flipped he definetly had small man syndrome BTW last I heard he was a copper in the Met
AIRBORNEDAD
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 57 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:07 AM UTC
Boy, Do I REMEMBER my Drill Instructor's name, we're talking back in 1978.....

His name was SSG JUAN C. JIMINEZ and if you have seen Sam Elliott's portrayal of the "famous" SGM Basil PLUMLEY in "We Were Soldiers" with Mel Gibson, then you have a PRETTY GOOD IDEA of what SSG Jiminez was like, except he was ONLY 5'3" TALL !

Anyway, He was a Korea, AND Vietnam Era SOLDIER, and the very first person I ever encountered in my career who was awarded TWO Combat Infantryman's Badges and MASTER Jump Wings with 3 Combat Jump Stars!! ( We won't even TRY to name all of his other decorations and awards)

Having "survived" a mere 12 weeks with HIM made me want to HURRY UP and get to Jump School and on to Ft. Bragg.

Amazingly now, 26 years later, and after a couple of Combat Tours myself, I can STILL picture his face and hear that voice, especially when I think of my old Ex's RABID PET HAMPSTER! :-) :-)

But really, He was a FINE NCO and taught me a lot about myself and my abilities, and how to NEVER QUIT!! I can safely say that some of the lessons I learned from him helped me survive some of the events, places, and things that I have had to endure to MAKE IT THIS FAR IN LIFE !!

SSG JIMINEZ, I SALUTE YOU !!

As Always,
ABD
TrooperD
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 31 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 07:50 PM UTC
Catterick 1970/71,a Corporal of Horse Hale,from one of the Household cavalry regiments.Still have nightmares now! .....Dave.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 08:47 PM UTC
Never belive this,
my old troop Sgt just got in touch with me found my details on MOD reunited funny or what