_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
Interesting discovery
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 01:17 PM UTC
Hi. Was just noticing a little piece of paper that was in the Tamiya Abrams kit that I'm working on, issuing a warning about making sure to only use the plastic spure(s) marked with a >PS< in making anything with the stretched spure method. And on looking these spures over I noticed that only two of the 4 or 5 spures in the kit are labeled as such. Then they go on to say that using other spure(s) can give off a posionous gas if heated.

I would assume that all the plastic spures are made up of the same chemical combination, so if one wouldn't give off a posionous gas, the others shouldn't either.

The only thing I can think of is the 'rubber type' of spure in the kit that holds the poly caps. This, I would assume, would be the one they are talking about giving off posionous gases if it were to be heated.

Anybody else run across this particular warning label in their kits? Just curious here, as this is the first time I think I've ever seen this in a kit before. Just was wondering what other's take on this is. I would have to imagine it's lawyer thing, as kids do work with these kits, and could heat whatever their hands happen to first pick up to make stretched spure out of, and Tamiya is just trying to cover all the bases.

Take care, Sgirty
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 01:37 PM UTC
Yes, I've noticed it on some Tamiya kits. Seems to me the Churchil and Cromwell but I could be wrong. I haven't checked to see how many of the sprues aren't marked PS.

Good heads up.
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 719 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 02:17 PM UTC
If I'm not mistaken the rubber sprues are made of a poly vinyl chloride derivative. This would give off Chlorine gas upon heating... not a good thing.

The plastic sprues of polystyrene are perfectly safe... so no problems there. :-)

Later-
Nelson
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 02:40 PM UTC
All plastic resin fumes are a hazard to your health. Styrene isn't too bad, when stretching sprue, unless you get it smoking. However, some of the othey types will release really nasty fumes when heated. ABS is one that will give an instant headache from just a slight whiff. I don't know if any of the model producers are using an ABS blend, but Testors model cement is now good for styrene and ABS.

erwinrommel
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 20 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 12:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If I'm not mistaken the rubber sprues are made of a poly vinyl chloride derivative. This would give off Chlorine gas upon heating... not a good thing.

The plastic sprues of polystyrene are perfectly safe... so no problems there. :-)

Later-
Nelson

Chlorine gas was used during wwi mmm nostalgic LOL!
sniperwolf
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 86 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 12:50 PM UTC
mmm the nostalgia, tis choking me to death!
erwinrommel
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 20 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 12:52 PM UTC
actualy it burnt the lungs and other vital organs mmm the feeling of clorine gas in the good ol lung
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 01:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Chlorine gas was used during wwi mmm nostalgic LOL

I think the Germans used this in Auschwitz, they dropped it from the top of the chambers, and `and they knew they were done when they stopped hearing the screams, so yes, this stuff could be dangerous. oh, isn't humanity beautifull? I'm sure god ain't laughing :-)
jonasaberg
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
entire network: 66 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 08:45 PM UTC
Isnīt everything hazardous to your health in high enough doses?
Everything that burns creates gases that are potentially dangerous.
Paint and glue fumes arenīt exactly healthy
If you got proper ventilation I wouldnīt bother too much about this.
But thatīs just me.
 _GOTOTOP