_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Sheet Styrene
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2015 - 12:23 PM UTC
I need to scratch make a schurzen for a Stug and thinking of using plasticard,can anyone tell me the right thickness I shall need?

Thanks in advance
Karl
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2015 - 06:16 PM UTC
Karl

I looked up Schurzen and got this This armor is reported to be light -- 4 to 6 millimeters (.16 to .24 in) -- and is said to give protection against hollow-charge shells, 7.92-mm tungsten carbide core AT ammunition, and 20-mm tungsten carbide core ammunition.

So depending on what scale you are looking to do the skirts will tell you scale thickness !

At 1/35 that would be 0.128mm thick !

Have you considered using aluminium from roasting tins as it is very cheap, compatible with superglues to plastic can find in a few thickness, bends to shape and stays, easily painted too with metal finish for scratches and chips ?

Nige
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:18 PM UTC
Thanks for that Nige.
So guessing on your 0.128mm calculation I can go for 0.10 or 0.15 thickness.
Great thanks.
Karl
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 02:38 AM UTC
Personally I'd stick to styrene rather than thin aluminium as while the plates weren't that thick, they were steel plate and photographs don't tend to show them being battered up like sheet metal trackguards.

Your call though - fortunately there are plenty of photos around and you probably have loads of them crumpled😀
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 04:52 AM UTC
Hi Robert

A rather extreme case but the aluminium sheet would work well in a case like this !!!!!!! damaged schurzen

But there is scope for variaty and given that it is a heck of a lot cheaper than photo etch, might be quite a cheap alternative with plenty skope either straight or bent !!!!

Good luck either way

Nige
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 05:32 AM UTC
Thanks for your replies lads.
I don't usually like doing vehicles with schurzen as it's a pain some times,but this particular Stug has only one set of schurzen on the left side only,the right has none just a bent bracket.
I suppose Dragon only had so much info on this Stug and did not supply any schurzen.If I found this out my self why not the technical advisers?

Cheers
Karl
 _GOTOTOP