_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Ceramic modeling blades?
Ranchhand
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 08:41 PM UTC
So I am seeing advertising for ceramic modeling blades and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them? Is there a reason to use them over the tried and true xacto metal blades?
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 10:58 PM UTC
They are sharper and last longer for straight cutting applications. The downside is that they are brittle and don't handle lateral stress at all. The ones I have looked at are usually more for paper and other crafts where the cuts are much more controlled. For the price of three blades http://stylexhobby.com/index.php?id_product=121&controller=product you could buy two 15 blade packs from Xacto or Excel, but if they last 10X longer, you could break even. If two sided means that there is a blade surface on both ends (it looks like it in the photos) then you would get the equivalent of 60 blades.

The only issue I would have is matching that claim. I bought a pack of the Xacto xuron blades and worked with them. They do last much longer and are much harder, but didn't start as sharp and weren't good for detail trimming, or even cutting sprue attachment points off. These ceramic blades do look much better.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 668 Posts
KitMaker Network: 211 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 08:48 PM UTC
You could just get a diamon file and hone the xacto blades , makes them last a lot longer . Unless your into some precision cutting ?
 _GOTOTOP