_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Kit Manufacturers
bm4247
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 88 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 11:32 PM UTC
Hi all.

Having returned to the hobby after around a 38 year break I have noticed lots of things have changed. As a kid I built Airfix and Matchbox models as those were the sort of models that were available to a limited budget.

Now I see there are lots of kit manufacturers and I am perplexed at the choice.

I have been given kits as gifts and purchased some as well. I have Airfix, Revell Tamiya models and one Academy model to build.

Is anyone able to recommend any other makes that are worthy of buying, because some I have never heard of before now? The kit would have to have easy enough to follow instructions, preferably in English as I am a multilingual illiterate.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Brian
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 11:53 PM UTC
It's difficult to generalize one company as okay to buy and another not any good.What subjects and scales are you talking about ? better to fix on a kit you are interested in then research it for reviews and blogs,or ask questons about that kit.

all of the manufactures have good kits and some dogs.Some are better with ships then planes,others excel at armor.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 12:24 AM UTC
I would avoid Dragon. Although they have some highly accurate kits, the instructions are a nightmare. Trumpeter's instructions are better, but they are plagued by dimensional inaccuracies. Meng kits are quite nice and have easy to follow instructions. The newer AFV Club kits have decent instructions and are accurate. As Anthony said, it is difficult to generalize. I recommend researching the kit you want to build. Scalemates is usually a good starting point.

I am speaking only of 1:35 scale kits.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 12:36 AM UTC
I would say if there is a specific kit you have in mind ask about it. Odds are someone has built it and can tell you about the instructions and assembly issues. Those brands you mentioned are generally known for good instructions.
 _GOTOTOP