_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Hi all
greg86z28
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 14 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2015 - 08:58 PM UTC
Hi all,

I'm new here, finally registered after lurking and reading for awhile.

Like other posts I've read, I'm "getting back in the game" so to speak. I used to do some modeling when I was a kid (mid-late 90s) and now I'm going to try it again since I have some free time.

I have some basic household items, dremel tool, exacto/hobby knives, wire snips, etc.

I'm starting fresh (supplies and kit). I bought some Winsor and Newton University Series brushes: #000, #2, #5, and a 1/4" flat brush. I think I need to get a 1/2" flat as well.

For my first model, I'm going with the Tamiya 35215 (Panzer III Ausf L). That seemed to be a recommended kit for beginners by folks on this site. Are there any other recommendations for items I should get? I see there are photo etched and metal add on kits, but my initial thought was to keep it basic and just assemble it as is. Then I can build more appreciation for the upgrade kits.

I see Vallejo Acrylics recommended often (I will be doing brushes only). Does anyone have a recommendation on what colors I should get? I was hoping to lump my model order and paint order into one.

Also, what glue should I get? When I used to do it I had some gel stuff in a tube.

Do I need anything else? Or will brushes, paint, a model and some glue get me pretty far into this model?

Thanks!

Greg
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 01:35 PM UTC
Hi welcome to the forums.
If your going to be doing a Panzer III then you need to decide what colour is right,Panzer grey dark yellow or white wash.

If your going to buy Vallejo and your using a brush make sure you order model colour range as these paints go on quite well with brush.
Do you have a colour in mind or what theatre of the war would you like to do Russian front or N.Africa etc.

Good luck
Karl

greg86z28
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 07:11 PM UTC
Hi Karl,

Thanks for the response. I like the look of the german grey tanks. I see there is this option:

What front is this representing? It says "Hermann Goring Reginment, 1942". Eastern front?

Here is a list of tools and items I was going to purchase (with cost USD on amazon):
-Testor Liquid Cement ($8.39)
-Tamiya Extra Thin Cement ($5.98)
-Tamiya Paint Stirrer ($4.94)
-Tamiya Putty ($5.49)
-Revell Flexible Sanding Stick set ($8.97)
(I already have tweezers, hobby knife)

I also could consider buying an airbrush. I already own a small three gallon air compressor (1/3 hp, 100 psi max). I'm at $33.77 for tools and $26.38 for the 4 W&N University brushes.

I was hoping to not spend tons of money on supplies at this point. But if it will be the difference between having mediocre results and great results then maybe the airbrush is worth it.

About how much will paint run me?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 08:02 PM UTC
I highly recommend v,grey or https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/xf-63-german-grey/TAM00081363/product.php?kw=german,grey
or
https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/german-panzer-grey-modulation-acrylic-paint-6-bottles/AKI00000160/product.php?kw=german,grey
for paints. In 1942 the regiment would have been present, on the Eastern Front or in Germany for rest and restructuring.
greg86z28
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 12:42 AM UTC

Those "modulation kits" seem to produce pretty good looking results (probably at the hands of an airbrush master).

Maybe I'll grab one of those for gray, and then just buy the other colors individually as I need them (for tools, uniforms, etc).

I'll have to consider the airbrush thing a little more. My compressor is 3 gallons, 1/3 hp and at 90 psi moves 0.6 cfm and at 40 psi moves 1 cfm. I will need a water trap correct?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 02:55 AM UTC
If you are looking to invest in an airbrush, give consideration to the Iwata Neo as an affordable entry level duel action airbrush.
greg86z28
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you are looking to invest in an airbrush, give consideration to the Iwata Neo as an affordable entry level duel action airbrush.

Thanks for the recommendation Darren.

Are there any other airbrushes you recommend that can be widely used? I will most likely be a 1/35 armor guy, maybe a 1/16 figure, and maybe some planes or ships.

Can I prime, shoot base coats and camo with the same airbrush? I'm hoping one brush could do it all?

I have seen great reviews for the Iwata HP-CS. There is a Iwata HP-CR for sale locally here, $80 (includes 10' hose).

I've also seen the Badger 105 Patriot, a little cheaper than the nicer Iwata brushes.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 11:48 AM UTC
For model painting, you REALLY want a gravity feed airbrush. I recommend the Iwata HP-C+ as an outstanding do-it-all airbrush. It's an excellent airbrush, can shoot tight camo patterns, and open up to shoot base coats. You can learn on this brush, and wind up owning it your whole life.
Vallejo paints will run you about $4 a bottle.
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 08:05 PM UTC
Welcome to the forums.

Mike
greg86z28
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 09:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome to the forums.

Mike

Hey! A fellow Badger!

I think the Iwata HP-C+ is getting to be more than what I can talk myself into spending. I did see that dual action/gravity fed was well regarded for modeling.

Maybe I'll get the cheap Neo (~$40-50), play around with it for a bit, and then sell it for $20 when I want to upgrade.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 11:38 PM UTC
There are an excellent selection of airbrushes on the market at the moment with Badger and Iwata being the two companies that spring to my mind. I have mentioned the Neo as a cheap, but good airbrush for the money. beyond the Neo you will be looking at 2 to 3 times the money for a better airbrush, but they are of a better quality and durability.
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 07:24 AM UTC
I have used badger airbrushes for almost 40 years. I think they great.

Mike
greg86z28
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 05:42 PM UTC
How much air do you normally use when spraying or how often does your compressor cycle on?

If I've done my math right, for me it would be pretty often. My compressor delivers about 1 CFM @ 40 psi (does the brush actually shoot that much though), and the tank is 3 gallons (0.4 cf). I would think it would need to refill several times during standard duty.
 _GOTOTOP