_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Filling gaps between canopy and fuselage
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
entire network: 1,615 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 03:19 PM UTC
Hey,

I'm about to venture into the helicopter build zone for building my 1/48 Revell SH-60. From the few plane/helicopter builds in the past, I remember very often having problems fitting the canopy to the rest of the fuselage, with gaps showing between the clear parts and the rest.

How are you filling these gaps without it being visible through the clear parts (grey/brown filler over green fuselage, for instance)? I mean, the clear parts will have to be glued in place before filling so there is chance the filler will get under the clear parts where it cannot be painted anymore.

Also, how do you deal with scratches that might appear when you are leveling the filler? I was thinking of using Mr Surfacer for the filling and alcohol for the cleanup but there might be better solutions that this.

Any idea is more than welcome!

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Cristian
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 03:25 PM UTC
I would recommend trying white glue. It fills small gaps and, if necessary, can be leveled, with water.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 03:35 PM UTC
Now, that's a great idea! Also being white is probably less visible... I'm only unsure about its consistency as it might flow/drip inside the canopy before drying... Thoughts?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 03:50 PM UTC
It dries clear and should not run, if you don't thin it. Attach the canopy, then paint on the glue. Sometimes, I use a rag or q-tip to remove the excess, before it dries.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 03:58 PM UTC
Thank you, Matt! I'll definitely give that a try! Just have to make sure the glue I have at hand dries clear or get o tube that does.

Thanks so much for your help!
 _GOTOTOP