_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Recommendations for Figure Painting Brushes?
MichaelD413
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 163 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 09:56 PM UTC
I am just getting into figure painting starting with 1/16 military figures and was wondering if anyone can recommend what some good brushes are for me to buy. What brand should I go with? What sizes should I get? Thanks!
ComaBlack
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 194 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 01:33 AM UTC
Try nail art brushes. I found some cheap ones on eBay. They are not as small as some, but cheap.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,099 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 04:51 PM UTC
Windsor and Newton series 7. Very expensive [£8 each] but they really are the the best brushes you can get right now.
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 06:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Windsor and Newton series 7. Very expensive [£8 each] but they really are the the best brushes you can get right now.

Those are the brushes I use (W&N Series 7 Kolinsky). Timothy is right, they are expensive, but as the old adage goes, you get what you pay for. For the size kits you're looking at (1/16th or 120mm) the smallest you'd need would probably be a 0.

I picked up a 0 and a 3/0 for the 1/35 figures I work on.

This is how mine were shipped, and also each one had the plastic bristle protector on. Each ran me about $13. Love them though.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,194 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 07:26 PM UTC
There's an outfit on ebay that sells factory seconds ABC brushes I believe. They have very good prices and a variety of sets. If you're just getting into painting, go with a decent set of sables and synthetics that won't cost you an arm and a leg. Try different types of brushes to see what works best for you. You'll eventually develop a style and find different tips and stiffness are better suited to your needs and style. Whatever you buy, take good care of your brushes and they'll last a lot longer. When you feel comfortable, then go with higher priced brushes if you feel that little something is missing.

Kimmo
 _GOTOTOP