TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Wondering about new game idea
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 345 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 11:49 AM UTC
I've had this sort of idea stewing around in my head for a while now. An actual realistic "game" about WWII. Yeah I know, there's already tons of those out there. Now I'm no gamer (but I like to play games) but what I'm talking about is not like COD. Well, sort of but not really. I'm kind of talking about combining COD, WOT, WarThunder and any untold number of games with the history books, orders of battle, eye witness accounts, etc. To make one game that can be very realistic to replicate actual fighting from WWII. From the sands of Tunisia to the streets Berlin; from the jungles of the Philippines to the beaches of Okinawa (gee, starts and ends with sand, I wonder if that tells you something..). I have many ideas for this if anyone can help. Since many of us here are pretty good on the history aspect it'd be pretty neat to get this community involved if anything happens, which I doubt although would be nice. I do not know how to code at all.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 01:44 PM UTC
Oh joy... Can't edit it now. Well I was going to edit it to make it easier to read and understand but I have to post a new comment now.

I've had this sort of idea stewing around in my head for a while now. An actual realistic "game" about WWII. (Yeah I know, there's already tons of those out there.) Now I'm no gamer (but I like to play games) but what I'm talking about is not like COD. Well, sort of but not really. I'm kind of talking about combining COD, WOT, WarThunder and any untold number of games with the history books, orders of battle, eye witness accounts, etc - To make one game that can be very realistic to replicate actual fighting from WWII. From the sands of Tunisia to the streets Berlin; from the jungles of the Philippines to the beaches of Okinawa (gee, starts and ends with sand, I wonder if that tells you something..).

I have many ideas for this if anyone can help. Since many of us here are pretty good on the history aspect it'd be pretty neat to get this community involved if anything happens, which I doubt although would be nice.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 04:25 PM UTC
I completely agree with you. Personally a COD that goes back to WW2 and dispenses with the stupid mech suits and futuristic stuff would be great!

In terms of the 'sandbox' game you are talking about- i.e. where you can have vehicles, aircraft, ships and ground fighting- I think the best example of this was the original Operation Flashpoint- the company that made it spawned their own games (after Codemasters claimed the original title in copyright) called ARMA. Basically it was marketed as a very realistic war simulation- kind of in the same vein as a flight simulator- except this included everything down to tanks, jeeps, jets, helicopters etc.

A whole community sprang up around the original title to add campaigns, vehicles, ships, weapons etc. I believe the community is still very much active with the newer ARMA titles- I can't be sure since my computer isn't good enough to run anything but the first ARMA and I don't really play games on the computer anymore.

Basically- you may want to look there to see the kind of thing that can be done in terms of creating environments, weapons, vehicles etc.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 09:39 PM UTC
I'm not so much interested in a "sandbox" game. What I am thinking about is a squad game. You have your squad from such-and-such a division and you follow it through to the end of the campaign in a certain theater. But it would concentrate solely on the ground forces. The armored divisions and infantry divisions you. No air and no sea fighting - at least the player wouldn't be able to.

Like I said, the player would pick a country. And then, say, for the US either the Marines or the Army and then either the respective armored or infantry divisions. Now obviously it have a list of every division to choose from. After that, if you choose infantry, you can choose to be a paratrooper, armored infantry, or regular infantry.

From there you control a squad of soldiers through the campaign. Starting in Midway if you choose US-Pacific, Africa if you choose US-Europe, Africa if you choose GB-Africa (but you'd start earlier in the campaign than the US), and then somewhere in the Middle East if you choose GB-Middle East. I'd also plan on putting some Russian campaigns along with an Axis side too.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 03:54 AM UTC
I have had a similar idea, but a mmofps based during WWI. Pick a country and fight in some of the major battles(Verdun, the Somme, etc.).