_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
fsm
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 09:44 AM UTC
Is it worth it? What kind of handy thing does it contain? How much per issue?
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 10:26 AM UTC
Yes, it's worth it, it costs $4.95 plus tax, and you can find a lot of handy things in them. I prefer to browse through one before I buy it, but a subscription has a few fun things that go with it. Hope that this helps.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 10:47 AM UTC

Short of a matinee ticket to go see ' Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King', it's the best $4.95 you can spend! :-)

Tread.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 11:08 AM UTC
yes its a good mazgine, but they put to many cars in it lol,
and the 4 .95 does include the tax.
well here in ny it does
but if u are in to planes there are a few airplanes magzines that are better then fs.
and if u like armor there are better armor books to
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 03:20 PM UTC
You won't find another magazine with as many articles discussing (really teaching) basic and advanced techniques. Definitely worth the price
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 04:58 PM UTC
I think it is the best mag out there. I enjoy the many different articles and look forward to the new issue each month.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 06:13 PM UTC
I don't know if it's the best mag out there for any particular subject . BUt as far as general info and basic keep it simple building techniques you'd be hard pressed to find better at a comparible price.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 08:01 PM UTC
I've had a subscrition close to 20 years now. It is my favorite. I also subscribe to Military History, WW2, and for 30 years Playboy (wish I had bought that lifetime subscription when they offered it back in 79.) I have learned many great techniques, and when they feature a how to article on a model I have yet to build, I put the mag in the box to refer back to. Have one right now in my Dragon Wagon and 350 scale Hornet. Probably discover more as I open up other kits.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 11:25 PM UTC
It is not bad.
But sometimes articles are too detaile. Tamiya mag is just as good,so is AFV Modeller which is all Armor stuff but $15.00 an issue.
MMIR is great also only Armor in it!

My 2 cents worth (++)
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 02:41 AM UTC
It's one of these mags that one always finds something useful in. I said previously that I (personally) consider it is a magazine which could do with a real make-over. The format (at least to me) seems a touch antiquated and the content seems a little too 'general' to be an absolute necessity every month. That said, my main contention with FSM, is the general quality of the reproduction of the photos. I don't think that nowadays, the quality of the pics is really acceptable or justifiable.... $4.95? By the time it hits the newsagents here, the price has risen to €8. Well over $10 an issue......Jim
tek2
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 156 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hi Captain
I subscribe to it. Have for about four years now. Think it's worth every penny.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 07:49 AM UTC
I like it too. I think they've got the right forma: a bit for everybody and lots of cross-discipline tips...
Ciao
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 07:58 AM UTC
I used to subscribe, actually thinking about re-subscribing but probably won't. Too much within that I'm not really interested in. I maybe purchase two-three a year. (I know, I know... my models reflect that too.)

Like MMiR... too much German WWII stuff for my tastes and well, at $10.00 a pop, a little too expensive for me. Haven't gotten an issue of that in quite some time now.

So many back issues of everything, that I've basically stopped purchasing magazines. Sorry.
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 833 Posts
KitMaker Network: 216 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 11:20 AM UTC
It's a good mag. I let my subscription expire because I was geting less and less out of it. Now I just pick and choose the issues I want off the stand. I know it costs more but I'd rather have 3 or 4 issues that I'm going to get someting out of rather than having a bunch more collecting dust.
LittleNick
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 147 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 11:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

. Now I just pick and choose the issues I want off the stand. I know it costs more but I'd rather have 3 or 4 issues that I'm going to get someting out of rather than having a bunch more collecting dust.

I really like the magazine but some issues plain out suck. Thats why i pick them off the shelf. Or it might be i dont have anough money. But i really like the magazine.
USA-What are the names of the other modeling magazine. I live in Georgia and all i can find is FSM
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 12:05 PM UTC
I like FSM, and would recommend you get a copy...

(++)
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 04:59 PM UTC
It is a good general magazine. I have since subscribed to specific magazines for my areas of interest. But it is a good mag if it is the only one you can afford.
capnjock
Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 11:07 PM UTC
I agree with capnjock, FSM is a good general modelling mag and covers a huge range of modelling interests. I buy it every month for that generallity and also the good modelling how to articles that pop up every now and again. I find that the average modelling standard in this magazine is average-good, you do not often see real high quality stuff such as in AFV Modeller or Tamiya but is it a good read for all of that. One thing I do like about FSM is the profiles of modellers that acompany the work, you dont really see that in other mags.

Lee
 _GOTOTOP