Slotted screw heads, how to?
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
entire network: 1,208 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 06:14 PM UTC
Hi,
I need to make a dozen of slotted round screw heads, for an ongoing project, not too smal, I think about 0.8mm-1mm diameter would be just perfect.

Is there any good way to go about making such items, so i end up with 12 fairly similar looking screws?

AM set would be ok also but I have not found one yet.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Greg
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 616 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 06:54 PM UTC
This might help.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/f9a6f7678be0e8c6bf956abeb4620be9?AccessKeyId=65241B2E7F6627F93B2F&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Dave
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 07:15 PM UTC
Thanks Dave, useful article!
Then again I'm after slotted round screw heads, I guess the styrene rod end could be sanded round, but it will be hard to get repetitive result.

Cheers,
Greg
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 08:07 PM UTC
Personally, I've always foud the 'drill hole & insert slotted rod' too hard to get consistent results but I have found that Aber's etched screw heads are v good. Used them on my Jpz IV roof and after making a small depression with a burr, they stayed in place with a dab of liquid cement.

http://www.aber.net.pl/upload/pdf/f99e741cccb57777926bdc1fa14ca1af.pdf

I think Lion Roar might make some too but the only ones I seem to see are cross-head types, which are no good for my purpose.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,194 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 08:10 PM UTC
Mike Roof had a nice how to, I can't seem to find it. Essentially you make a jig. Drill a hole in some thick strip stock, scribe a groove, probably better to scribe the groove first I would think. Take some rod, push it up into the hole and then slot with a fine razor saw. The jig will of course wear out after a while. If you want rounded heads, you'll need to round the rod first, not a perfect solution but should do in a pinch.

Kimmo
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 08:21 PM UTC
Thanks Robert and Kimmo!

Kimmo, I think the article you mention is the one linked by Dave in the first answer here.
You are right, it seems I'll have to just round the styrene rod and then make the slot.

Cheers,
Greg
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,194 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 09:29 PM UTC
It might be, I couldn't get it to open so I figured I'd write out a quick description to be on the safe side.

Kimmo
fitzgibbon505
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 99 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 08:38 PM UTC
Tichy Train Group or Grandt Line rivets. drill a hole in a piece of thick scrap plastic to insert the stem the rivet is molded on. Push down in the center with a #17 X-Acto blade to make the slot. Glue the ones that come out well in place on your model. As you get some practice, you will probably get to where you can just glue them in place, then add slots.
Scale_Mason
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 47 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 09:11 PM UTC
I have used this company before for 0.5 mm hex bolts. They are very well made and worth the money in my opinion.
Added benefit is they are all exactly the same size and have a very consistent look.

http://www.scalehardware.com/slotted-bolts-c-46
fitzgibbon505
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 99 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 08:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have used this company before for 0.5 mm hex bolts. They are very well made and worth the money in my opinion.
Added benefit is they are all exactly the same size and have a very consistent look.

http://www.scalehardware.com/slotted-bolts-c-46

Those are going to be 2 3/4 inches in diameter in 1/35th scale. Mighty big screws!
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 08:41 AM UTC
If it's just screw heads you want, how about making one, pressing that into a slab of modeling clay to make several molds, and then squirt in some filler putty. Essentially the same as making resin casts, but without all the hassle.

_GOTOTOP