_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: AMPS
Topics about AMPS (Armor Model and Preservation Society).
WHAT DO YOU DO...lack of price's
chavey65
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 39 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 01:53 AM UTC
Just getting tired, of all these companies,releasing new products and never posting what it actualy cost's I know that this kitmaker network relies on ad income but why o why many say PRICE TBA, so why advertise it, more to the point why does armorama go along with it? isn't it better that we all know where we stand instead of reaching for the search bar looking for what it cost's,god it does do me in at times
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 02:08 AM UTC
Why do you need to see a price that is subject to change? You can usually estimate the cost, based on similar releases(Dragon's pz III's and IV's avg. $40). Add 15% and you should have enough to buy the kit and have it shipped to you. With recent times, prices have been going up. Tamiya kits, for instance. And, they may be difficult to predict. Just sit on your wallet and wait. I have a monthly budget. If a kit doesn't fit, I will wait another month or two.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 02:35 AM UTC
Hi Allan,

If you mean lack of prices in News and Reviews, that's often because we aren't given the info ourselves! Some items come only from the maker, so if they set a selling price we can use that. But others are sold through various third-parties (like most plastic kits) and there will be a range of different prices depending on who you buy from. So we can't really offer any meaningful price on those. But by and large we get the tip-off without getting any hint of pricing at all...
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 03:21 AM UTC
That's part of the reason that I enjoy both in box reviews and full build reviews. If I see that a model has given a veteran model builder a fight and he or she had to spend x amount of time fixing problems and x amount of money on resin and PE upgrades to make the kit presentable, then I'll probably avoid that kit anyways.

Tamiy and Hasegawa kits are among my favorite but if I see a builder do a bang up job on a kit that's half the price of the above mentioned, then I'm likely to spring for the cheaper kit.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 03:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just getting tired, of all these companies,releasing new products and never posting what it actualy cost's I know that this kitmaker network relies on ad income but why o why many say PRICE TBA, so why advertise it, more to the point why does armorama go along with it? isn't it better that we all know where we stand instead of reaching for the search bar looking for what it cost's,god it does do me in at times

Because what it costs changes depending on your location.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 04:00 AM UTC
Allan, you must also remember that a lot of the news items are supplied and published a month or two before the kit is on the shelves in some cases even a full year. A lot can happen in that time price of oil, shipping, exchange rate etc.
So if company A was to say in Jan that kit X will be out in Dec at price Y (say £20) and then in the mean time the cost of shipping and oil go through the roof and the exchange rate takes a hike so that in Dec the kit hits the shelf at price Z (say £35) would you complain? Sure you would. Hence why they don't give a price unless it's a mail order/web based company and the kit is available at the same time as the news item is published.

Part of the fun, searching for deals.
 _GOTOTOP