_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Book club?
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 06:21 AM UTC
Hi all

Just a quick question does anybody know anything about this book club that always has an ad in Fine Scale? I was looking at the ad and I like some of the books but I'm a liittle nervous about joining a book club. If anyone knows anything about them

Thanks
Wolfsix

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 06:28 AM UTC
I was a member of Military Book Club and got all of my Osprey Modelling compendums, the MBC special hard cover editions of the Osprey modeling books and Osprey New Vanguard books (hard cover as well) really cheap through their offers. I basically purchased these other Osprey books to fulfill my commitment then I left the club.

It's real easy to decline their monthly selections via the internet and they allowed me to put my account on hold when I went away for several months.

Their website used to be really hard to find these gems hidden amongst the other titles.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 06:54 AM UTC
I se the book club over here in the UK worth joining even just for the cheap books you get offered when you start better than my local book shop anyday
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 10:00 AM UTC
I joined the military and aviation book club last year. You need a UK adress, but as the wife is from Wales, that sorted that one out! I found the ad in Military modelling. You got something like five books from their magazine for max £3 each, but you have had to buy 2 regular price within a year as a commitment. So I got the introductitory offer of 5 book and 2 regular for a total of about £45. In sweden the same books would have cost me at least twice this. I have bought only modelling books .. terrain and model masterclass etc but Im very happy with them. I have made my commitment so I dont have to by any more, Im sill a member so I can snap up other titles at reduced or cheaper prices as they come up! the only thing I have to do is go there each month and decline the editors choice.
Im happy enough with the deal.
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 03:51 PM UTC
The Military Book Club screwed up every single order I placed including the first order. They substituted books. They sent incorrect books. After I got a time waiver when I was going to be out of the country for a while (and couldn't decline), they sent the garbage of the month books to me anyway. When I returned books after I finally made the quota and quit, I got vouchers to replace them, but they wouldn't let me back on their web-site.
If I hadn't of kept a few catalogs, I'd be out much more than I "saved". Stay away from the books, CD, anything where you get so many free or for a dollar. I hate 'em!
Do you get the feeling that I'm not happy with them? In all fairness, some of my IPMS chums have used them with no problem. So, maybe I'm cursed. Understand they are part of the Columbia Book Club umbrella. They don't have the lovliest of reputations. Easy in. Next to impossible out.

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 08:09 PM UTC
I had a great exerience with the Military Book Club. I was a memeber for 9 years. Had to drop out recently because of unemployment and that I couldn't afford to buy anything and to quit dealing with the return the card policy. You get some pretty good deals through them. Like Rob, I picked up tons of their Osprey books. In fact, I got the Tony Greenland book whcih turned my modelling from making mediocre airplaes into pretty good armor
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you get the feeling that I'm not happy with them? In all fairness, some of my IPMS chums have used them with no problem. So, maybe I'm cursed.

Sorry to hear that sealhead. Ive only dealt with them twice and both orders have had no problems. My problem is the deal I have they only ship to a UK address, so i have to get them sent forward to to sweden after that. So both my orders so far were just before somebody was coming over to visit.
I wrote to them at the start because they said if you didnt want editors choice, you could decline but they didnt have a decline button. As I couldnt decline, I told them I would take the first 2 editores choices and then quit if I was being lumbered with books I didnt want. A decline button appeared soon afterwards. So now I have bought what I have committed to ... and recieved a good deal ... if they mess me about, I wouldnt think twice about quitting the club.
Thanks for the message ... being pre-warned is being pre-armed!
Tony_Frey
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 272 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 03:00 AM UTC
I've been a member of the Military book club for about a year now, and have not had one single problem. Haven't had any problems w/ the return cards either - I just make my replies online, and they don't send anything I don't ask for.
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 04:50 AM UTC
Hi all
I want thank you guys for helping me make up my mind. :-) I think I'm going give the book club a try. I'll let you folks know what happens.

Wolfsix
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 12:00 PM UTC
I'm glad you asked this qstn.

I've been tempted by their ad also and was giving them some thought
I love to read, but time is to scarce already.

capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 05:10 PM UTC
As long as you do not mind keeping up with the cards, it is fine. I have been a member, off and on, for many years. I also have received the Osprey books through them. I believe they are as good as any other book club. No reason not to join if you are interested in military history.
capnjock
 _GOTOTOP