_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Would like to know what the right primer
maxmwill
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 334 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 - 09:40 AM UTC
I've got a little project going using one of the engines and nacelles off a 1/48 scale Do217E, and as I've been assembling the nacelle, I dropped on of the kit supplied exhaust stacks. After looking at the remaining pair of stacks, I thought to find a pic of the actual BMW 801 engines just to see what I could find about the actual stacks, as if I wanted to complete this project, I'd have to have the full set of stacks, and that I'd have to fashion another piece, if I couldn't find the piece that dropped.

And, looking at a shot of the rear part of an 801, I realized that it might be be better looking if I cut each stack, made a jig to hold each set of stacks in place. It so happens that I have brass tube that, when flattened a bit, is nearly identical in appearance to what was in the photo.

Well, enough tube was flattened, and each piece cut off.

And my little jig is taking place.

So now, as I attack this with hammer and tongs, I've begun to think how I'd be painting this, so I'm asking what would be the appropriate primer for brass?
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 668 Posts
KitMaker Network: 211 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 07:49 PM UTC
Do you any allergies to lacquers , I would recoment mr surfacer take your pick 500 to 1500 course to fine . 500 will work as a filler and 1500 is a glass finnish . Only problem is the smell and you can't hand paint it .
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 08:13 PM UTC
Matt Grey car primer will do the job a treat, just make sure there is no grease on the metal.
maxmwill
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 09:45 PM UTC
No, I have no problem with the odor of lacquers, as as I, in the course of my day job, have to do the occasional dope and fabric patch job on some ragwings, as well as sometimes doing a full cover job, I've pretty well gotten used to it, although I do have to take care to have plenty of ventilation, as intoxication from the fumes is a clear possibility, and even then, care has to be taken, even after ward, as if one is driving afterward, and pulled over by a traffic cop, when a breathalyzer test is applied, it shows up as alcohol, and the relative concentration is treated as such. I had a coworker who had been popped for DU because of this.

About the only paint I could have a problem with is polyisocyante, as if you're using it, and you begin to smell its distinctive scent, you've already gotten more than enough of a dose to give you a lifetime sensitivity to it(this is in Dow Chemical's literature on it), and I have that(anaphylactic shock is usually the result).

But no, not lacquers. In fact, I enjoy the smell, to an extent.
maxmwill
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 09:47 PM UTC
You mean like Rustoleum, and similar?

Even if it is a rattle can, all I'd need to do is spray enough into a cup of some sort and use a brush, because are small pieces.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 668 Posts
KitMaker Network: 211 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 12:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No, I have no problem with the odor of lacquers, as as I, in the course of my day job, have to do the occasional dope and fabric patch job on some ragwings, as well as sometimes doing a full cover job, I've pretty well gotten used to it, although I do have to take care to have plenty of ventilation, as intoxication from the fumes is a clear possibility, and even then, care has to be taken, even after ward, as if one is driving afterward, and pulled over by a traffic cop, when a breathalyzer test is applied, it shows up as alcohol, and the relative concentration is treated as such. I had a coworker who had been popped for DU because of this.

About the only paint I could have a problem with is polyisocyante, as if you're using it, and you begin to smell its distinctive scent, you've already gotten more than enough of a dose to give you a lifetime sensitivity to it(this is in Dow Chemical's literature on it), and I have that(anaphylactic shock is usually the result).

But no, not lacquers. In fact, I enjoy the smell, to an extent.

You bring back memories of cloth covered airplanes .
maxmwill
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 12:57 AM UTC
Well, they are still being used to bore holes in the sky, some bigger than others.

And, I'll take a ragwing Cessna over a Wichita Spam Can any time.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 01:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt Grey car primer will do the job a treat, just make sure there is no grease on the metal.

That's the way to go. Self-etching primer. If you have one close, you can get a can from Harbor Freight, for about $4.
maxmwill
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 01:52 AM UTC
I didn't know Harbor Freight would carry it, although I should have known better. And yes, there is one reasonably close by.
 _GOTOTOP