_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Best paint if I use a brush
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2015 - 12:48 PM UTC
Just bought an Academy 1/32 Sopwith Camel and would like to know if I decide to paint it using brush only what paint would you recommend for best results?

I looked in to the Tamiya AS range spray cans but I think it would cost me around £30 for the colours I need.

Thanks in advance
Karl

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2015 - 01:05 PM UTC
Vallejo Model Color or Model Master enamel.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2015 - 01:12 PM UTC
Ola Karl

I'd recommend Humbrol enamel if you go the route of the hairy stick. You have to shake/stir them well before you start and you need a good sized, relatively soft haired brush. But you will find it brushes on smooth. It cures smooth. And the latest formula they use for their paint dries pretty fast too.

It even helps if you thin the paint a little bit with some turpentine (just a brush full of turpentine no need to soak it)
I rarely apply it straight from the tin. I make a palette from a piece of cardboard which I wrap in aluminium foil. Makes thinning and mixing small batches of colour much easier.

The tins are not that expensive. They have a good range of colours. And you need to lay down a good primer first. For that I always use tamiya grey primer from the rattlecan.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2015 - 02:54 PM UTC
Thanks for your replies.
What I might do is try both and see what the best results are.I really prefer acrylics to enamels but if I get better results from enamel paints then ill use them.

Going to use a Tamiya flat brush and spray primer the model first to get a better base coat before painting.

I would buy a new airbrush but I have nowhere to spray in my house and also have 2 young children 6 and 3 so its not an option.

Thanks Matt and Robert

Karl
 _GOTOTOP