TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Remember TV series Combat?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:21 AM UTC
I've been under the weather the last couple days, playing hooky more like it. I've found that the Action Channel, part of the Encore channels, plays the old TV series Combat here. They show two episodes back to back from 10am Mountain time, to about 11:40 am.

I can remember watching this old series on Saturday afternoons in the mid sixties. I might have watched them when they were on prime time but I doubt it. I remember my mom couldn't stand Vic Morrow, Sgt Saunders, though she kind of liked Rick Jason, the Lt. Watching these old shows could be a wealth of dio ideas. Because they were shot in black and white they could use old footage of real items in combat. I've seen some pretty good shots of Shermans and Panzer IVs, along with plenty of other vehicles. Of course they kind of mix and match the footage. During one artillery barrage they showed a German 88, a British 5.5 inch gun, and an American 155, all during a German barrage. They also had some interesting soft skins they used as props. One show has a hard top duce and a half, (Studebaker?), and what looked like a British Chevy. The cab of this last truck had a hard top but otherwise looked exactly like my Tamiya LRDG Chevy.

The American uniforms look pretty realistic, though Saunders wears a camo cover on his helmet that was very rare in the ETO. The Germans look kind of hokey, though from what I can see they have the ranks right, i.e. when a character is referred to as a corporal he's wearing corporal insignia. Of course if this series is to be believed every third German had a MP38/40, which Kirby, the BAR man, refers to in one episode as a "Kraut burp gun."

If you have satellite or cable that includes the Encore channels look for this series on Action, channel 343 here in Colorado
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 12:29 AM UTC
Hi. Careful Halfyank, your starting to show your age here. Ha, ha! Yes, I can remember this show, to some extent. Remember the explosions they used on the intorduction to the show, and some of the characters in it, but that's just about it. Also remembver the Rat Patrol show. This was pretty good,for what it was too. Believe the actor who played the German officer on Rat Patrol is now a character in some soap opera show on TV. And he looks like he's held his age pretty well. Also remember 12 O'clock High, and that was pretty good as well. None of them were anyways near accurate, but what Hollywood show or movie really is? Although they have gotten some better down through the years. Thanks for the brief trip down memory lane. Hope you get to feeling better real soon.

Take care, Sgirty
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 07:17 AM UTC
I remember as a kid watching the show in the 60's. The only thing that comes to mind other than the theme whcih I frequently hum is my dad laughing at it and pointing out all the Eucolyptse trees
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 12:06 PM UTC
this sounded like a cool tv show i asked my mom and dad and my older brothers.
they rember this show i found a web site.
http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/main.html
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 06:21 PM UTC
I remember Combat! Wasn't there another similar show from that era? Not Rat patrol...more of a European setting like Combat had.

Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 11:20 AM UTC
IIRC after "Combat" went off, some of the same characters returned in a spin-of called "Garrison's Guerillas"
waterboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 466 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 10:01 PM UTC
During the same time period there was another WW2 series called Gallent Men. I forget who was in it, after all that was 40 years ago. I do remember having a plastic cap gun that looked just like a small thompson like Sgt. Saunders carried.
Yari
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 78 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 04:08 PM UTC
I loved that show. I was like four or five when I it was aired back in the old country. That and the Sgt Rock (and for a few issues, Lt. Rock, the Sarge's brother who fought in the Pacific made notable for having a shrapnel lodged in his noggin) comic books that my grandfather had. They introduced me to be very interested in reading and history.

It sad that Vic Morrow died in that freak accident while shooting an episode for ... was it the Twilight Zone???
DD-393
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 97 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 08:42 AM UTC
Boy, am I showing my age. I remember watching Combat! when I was a kid. I remember how gritty it looked in black & white. I've seen a few reruns on cable, and now I've caught a moralistic spin on some of the shows.

Vic Morrow was killed a number of years ago along with two child actors while filming the movie version of "The Twilight Zone." A helicopter lost control over a movie explosion and crashed on them.

-Charlie
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 11:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been under the weather the last couple days, playing hooky more like it. I've found that the Action Channel, part of the Encore channels, plays the old TV series Combat here. They show two episodes back to back from 10am Mountain time, to about 11:40 am.

I can remember watching this old series on Saturday afternoons in the mid sixties. I might have watched them when they were on prime time but I doubt it. I remember my mom couldn't stand Vic Morrow, Sgt Saunders, though she kind of liked Rick Jason, the Lt. Watching these old shows could be a wealth of dio ideas. Because they were shot in black and white they could use old footage of real items in combat. I've seen some pretty good shots of Shermans and Panzer IVs, along with plenty of other vehicles. Of course they kind of mix and match the footage. During one artillery barrage they showed a German 88, a British 5.5 inch gun, and an American 155, all during a German barrage. They also had some interesting soft skins they used as props. One show has a hard top duce and a half, (Studebaker?), and what looked like a British Chevy. The cab of this last truck had a hard top but otherwise looked exactly like my Tamiya LRDG Chevy.

The American uniforms look pretty realistic, though Saunders wears a camo cover on his helmet that was very rare in the ETO. The Germans look kind of hokey, though from what I can see they have the ranks right, i.e. when a character is referred to as a corporal he's wearing corporal insignia. Of course if this series is to be believed every third German had a MP38/40, which Kirby, the BAR man, refers to in one episode as a "Kraut burp gun."

If you have satellite or cable that includes the Encore channels look for this series on Action, channel 343 here in Colorado

I kinda missed Combat. i watched them as a kid. I never missed a series. I could never forget that distinctive theme played.