_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
Picture rotation?
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 444 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2014 - 03:54 PM UTC
Hi
In my thread here: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/229772&page=1

The last two of my images come out rotated. Now, looking at the images in a new window shows them rotated the right way. The same as they are on my camera.
Does anyone know if the forum has some kind of auto rotate picture or similar? It feels strange if i need to rotate the pictures 90 degrees to the right before uploading to make the forum read them properly!

/J
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2014 - 05:43 PM UTC
test

it must be the forum software rotating them because they are so large, 3264pixels.
the software does a nice job of displaying large images inside the column width, it must also decide to orient large images

I cant prove this, I have no where to host images that big!
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2014 - 08:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

test

it must be the forum software rotating them because they are so large, 3264pixels.
the software does a nice job of displaying large images inside the column width, it must also decide to orient large images

I cant prove this, I have no where to host images that big!

Good point, i'll try to downsize them slightly. I just got a new phone and the pic-size increased dramatically!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2014 - 11:52 PM UTC
The gallery does not change photo layouts. However if you are using a 'batch' re-size action in Photoshop that will sometimes change the orientation of photos from how the photo may appear in a file window on preview.

Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2014 - 11:57 PM UTC
I looked at this a bit further. So the images are hosted on Dropbox and indeed show up portrait if you load them by themselves. As far as I know (and I wrote the code) there is nothing on our site to change or rotate them. I think there is a 'max-width' style setting to keep them from busting the page. I can only assume that the dynamic way they are being loaded from Dropbox is causing them to turn them to the side. If you had a direct image "file" link that would probably fix it.

Jim
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 - 01:40 AM UTC
Cheers Jim
Unfortunately I cant image link the files from dropbox in any other way (to my knowledge)

I did however try to reduce the pic by 50% and that sorted out the issue. So it does seem like I hit some kind of upper limit for picture size! (Maybe something for the next kit maker network hack-a-ton? )

Thanks for the help so far!

/J
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 - 03:27 AM UTC
I've noticed that when I rotate photos prior to posting them they will come out fine when viewed with MSIE on a PC, but they revert to their original orientation when I view them with Safari on my iPad. Don't know why...

Removed by original poster on 12/24/14 - 10:59:04 (GMT).
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 11:35 PM UTC
I just notice that on my iPad the pictures is rotaded correctly!
So... Android & MacBook is bad rotation. iPad is good rotation. This bug keps getting better
 _GOTOTOP