Tamiya Cement and Styrene
robertdlipp
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 10:17 PM UTC
Hello to the "Glue " Group,

Am about ready to start on Dragon's DD-421 Benson. Have not built a "plastic" model in over 40 years! I'm wondering what is best way to attach the upper and lower hull sections together. Should I: 1) place the two pieces together, apply Tamiya's extra thin cement along the joint and secure with tape, or 2) apply Tamiya cement to each section first, fit together and then secure with tape.

Concerned that the liquid cement might etch the adjacent styrene when I apply as described in method 1. My problem with method 2 is that if I apply glue to the two halves prior to joining, will the styrene dry before I can mate the two section?

The last thing I want is to damage the hull surfaces but am leaning towards method one. What say the experts?

Thanks,

Robert
Alystyr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 146 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 11:55 PM UTC
Far from an expert here, but I'd go along with your first method. Tamiya Extra Thin, in my experience, evaporates way too fast to use the way you described in the second method. On very short seams, or pin/hole attachment, you can get away with it, but not on long ones.
Also, be careful of your tape placement. That type of glue will wick under tape very quickly.
Oh - be sure to work only a few inches at a time; don't try to do it all at once.
robertdlipp
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 12:13 AM UTC
Floyd,

Thanks for the tips. I'll use a combination of small plastic C clamps and masking tape to hold the sections together until the joints set.

Robert
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 06:50 PM UTC
I use Tamiya extra thin to secure the upper hull to the lower hull. I have never needed to use tape. Just apply pressure, with your hand for a few seconds and move on to the next area.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 08:58 AM UTC
Tamiya Extra Thin is the best glue in plastic modeling! Just hold the parts together (rubber bands laterally around the hull?) and touch the brush to the seam - the glue will wick down the joint and quickly fuse the parts together. Be careful not to use too much - it's easy to be fooled into thinking that that little dab could have done the job. As Floyd said, don't use tape; the glue will wick under the tape and go where you don't want it to. Extra Thin evaporates so quickly that small errant brush marks of glue don't mar the surface or show through the paint.
For applying glue to one surface and the sticking the parts together, buy Tamiya Liquid Cement with the white cap. It has a thicker viscosity, stays where you put it, and allows you working time. It also takes longer to dry.
Hachiman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 07:42 PM UTC
Use Tamiya's normal liquid cement with the orange cap for large parts or parts where you don't want the cement to run like on caps that hold wheels in place. It gives you a much longer working time.
 _GOTOTOP