_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: IPMS
Topics about IPMS (International Plastic Modeler's Society).
TOW ITAS July 2003 101st Mosul back ground?
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 1,383 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 09:26 PM UTC
Anyone tried a CAD model / 3D on the TOW ITAS fire control system box (FCS)? This FCS & ITAS system was used in Mosul July 2003 by 101st on the Hussein sons. I would think others may be interested. The cooling fins on the FCS box are difficult. The only dimension I have found to work with is a photo showing the FCS in a protective case is strapped down onto the gunners stand in a Humvee. Guess one could measure the 35 scale gunners stand to scale the FCS? Good past TOW system info from Pete Becerra on Armorama. HMMWV in Scale website has TMs. Photos of Mosul event by Sgt. Curtis G. Hargrave, U.S. Army and others. Books like -A Time of Our Choosing: America’s War in Iraq by Todd S. Purdum. Just my attempt to plant another seed for thought. All the best!
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 04:26 AM UTC
bump
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 05:05 AM UTC
I have TOW-ITAS in my Infantry unit but no one is interested in producing it currently.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 06:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have TOW-ITAS in my Infantry unit but no one is interested in producing it currently.

OK Thank you for the update. I guess I am dreaming that enough buzz and "marketing" would build that interest. Appreciate your offer for dimensional source. Will keep this one on the back burner for awhile. Some day.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 06:08 PM UTC
Looks like Peter is looking for references for a CAD model on his Shapway site for an early TOW ITAS (sans PADS) per this link. If the opportunity or interest is still out there?
http://armorama.com/forums/234938&ord=&page=2

Peter -Your efforts and interest are most appreciated.

For me, I feel like this equipment was part of a moment in time when good really did over come evil July 22, 2003 in Mosul. A moment that should be noted and remembered especially around this US Memorial Day holiday.

I feel my first poor attempt at a display some years ago can always be improved in many ways and I appreciate any help.

Blespooky
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
entire network: 277 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 06:49 PM UTC
Hi Gillespie,

I think you modelled technically well, the number on the Hummer really came out great, maybe its an issue of composition of the dio. Obviously the guys are firing at a far off target but they themselves seem to be floating in space on a no name road in a no name desert place.

I would suggest some foreground detail like a street sign in arabic, or a destoryed makeshift roadblock, maybe the wall of an adjacent structure, something to give location, to anchor this dramatic moment in reality.

One last thing, its hard to believe that while the missle operator is firing that big missle his buddy is calmly bringing over another missle, he would definiately be looking, or crouching behind the hummer engine block for cover. I can say from experience that I would stop whatever I was doing to watch the show.

Cheers,
Bryan
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2015 - 01:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gillespie,

I think you modelled technically well, the number on the Hummer really came out great, maybe its an issue of composition of the dio. Obviously the guys are firing at a far off target but they themselves seem to be floating in space on a no name road in a no name desert place.

I would suggest some foreground detail like a street sign in arabic, or a destoryed makeshift roadblock, maybe the wall of an adjacent structure, something to give location, to anchor this dramatic moment in reality.

One last thing, its hard to believe that while the missle operator is firing that big missle his buddy is calmly bringing over another missle, he would definiately be looking, or crouching behind the hummer engine block for cover. I can say from experience that I would stop whatever I was doing to watch the show.

Cheers,
Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Thank you for your comments. Tried to show folks moving about to support as in the videos, but guess he should be ducking! lol This is when the 101st Airborne surrounded Uday and Qusay Hussein and plenty of photos/video are available. Will review to show things that could be added to give a sense of place and the proper surrounding to your point. Perhaps the power lines and extending the street over to a building would create a more appropriate display? I did try to limit the size of this base's foot print to focus on the Humvee and the number of TOW tubes laying around it. Appreciate your thoughts and will include more surrounding in the "redo". Clearly the figures need work as well. Thanks! All the best- Stuart
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 05:51 PM UTC
Thanks to Peter Samofalov at this link is his excellent quality work on Shapeways website
http://www.shapeways.com/product/FNDA848JY/1-35-spm-35-027-tow-fire-control-system-fcs?li=search-results-1&optionId=57103832

_GOTOTOP