_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
New life for old models
SiStorey
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 04:21 AM UTC
Hi everyone. I hope everyone is keeping well. Well for those who have been following my build "Advance threw Normandy" you may have noticed that i have been away for quite a while due to moving into my new house. As i said on that i have been trying to get my man cave to a workable level and it's almost there.......almost lol so unfortunately my "Advanced threw Normandy" has had to take the back foot whilst i get my room and my house into a livable and homely condition. However my man cave is now painted, new desk is in and display cabinets are in and after bringing all my models up from my parents house I've noticed that they need a good refurbish and some new life put into them so "Advance threw Normandy" has been put to one side and now I'm going to be concentrating on going through all my models I'm getting them all to a decent display standard. I hope you all enjoy!!!
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,917 Posts
KitMaker Network: 133 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 07:08 PM UTC
Will that be mostly gluing on the things that broke off in transit, or will there be a thorough reassessment of each piece with repainting or modifications?
My curiosity is piqued.
-Sean H.
SiStorey
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 08:57 PM UTC
Hi Shaun, bit of everything really. I've had loads of old models from when I was a kid just sat in boxes all broken so I'm looking at upgrading if money allows but defiantly repairs and a paint job.
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,917 Posts
KitMaker Network: 133 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 09:10 PM UTC
That should be good to see in the forums here.
Cheers!
-Sean H.
SiStorey
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2014 - 01:55 AM UTC
Well after getting some sort of order to my man room and sorting threw all my old models this is basically the scale I'm at now for my refurbish and restore project.

So here is what will be getting worked on, pic heavy!!!

That's basically where I am at, lots of painting, few repairs and getting them back to their rightful glory!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2014 - 02:01 AM UTC
Si,

I think these can be restored fairly easily. Many are top notch!
SiStorey
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2014 - 02:09 AM UTC
Yeah there's only one or two that will need some large amounts of work but most will just be a repaint really but it's just finding the time lol Thank you though Frederick, The progress will start soon
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2014 - 07:25 PM UTC
There's some pretty good looking stuff there Si! Well worth the spruce up I'd say.
SiStorey
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2014 - 10:10 PM UTC
Thanks Steve, loads of really old ones so lets get the fun beginning.

First one I thought I would start off with is the Tamiya Panther. It is still in pretty good shape just needs a new lick of paint. So, firstly, I carefully removed all the bits and bobs attached to the outside and smoothen the rough edges.

Before:

Luckily with the model being so old all the little parts came off easy as thank god

After:

Took the top of the main body off, along with all the tool racks.

Pictures not the best but as this was done years and years ago I was never as detailed as I am now so there was still all the little rim of excess plastic around every single wheel so cue the sanding.

So after a lot of sanding and scrapping it's time foe a primer coat.

Grey First:

The a white followed by the black.

That's all I have for now. Tomorrow I will give it a coat of the red base coat, however would Humbrol Hull Red be a good undercoat colour?

Hope everyone enjoys
SiStorey
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2014 - 10:34 PM UTC
Hi everyone, hope everyones ready for christmas. This is probably the last update till after boxing day so enjoy.

Still working on the good old panther. Gave it a base coat of Humbrol Matt 133 a sort of hull red colour as the base layer. Once that dried over night I went about giving it the basic colour coat of Valejo Desert Yellow.

From there it was lots of highlights using both the spray gun and a brush. Sorry the photos aren't brilliant but they are off my phone.

I also removed the exhausts. Thank god for fragile old glue lol

Next step, the wheels!!

With the drive wheels I added silver to the teeth to show wear and tear.

Same with the back wheel

And now the bit everyone loves when painting german tanks, doing the rubber parts.....

Next was the silver wear part on the middle wheels.

Now the fun part, because these are old models I'm going to try new things out and see if I cant learn a thing or two.

So as the humbrol is an enamel it acted as a solid undercoat, where as you can play with valejo paints using water, so I tried adding water to the valejo and scratched it with my blade. And I love the results!!!

(still slightly wet)

Hope everyone enjoys and has a bloody good and well earn Christmas
 _GOTOTOP