_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Campaign Proposal
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,481 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 09:02 PM UTC
Hi all,

I would like to propose a year long campaign honoring Explosive Ordanance Disposal Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines from around the world. The US Military EOD program started during World War II so this campaign would be open to depictions from that point until present day. I also propose that support to civilian authorities also be included.

The dates I propose are 1 May 2015 through 1 May 2016. This could coincide with the Annual EOD Memorial which is held at Eglin AFB, FL each year.

What I would like to ask is who would be interested and if the requirement for a diorama would be acceptable. I ask about the diorama because depicting an EOD response would be the key to the campaign.

The date proposal is also so that those who are interested have plenty of time to research and acquire kits to facilitate their planned projects.

I will admit that this campaign is near and dear to my heart as I have been a US Army EOD Technician for 20 years.

Thanks for looking and considering this porposal.

Dave

"Initial Success or Total Failure"
PeeDee
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 10:42 PM UTC
A very interesting idea for a campaign.
In Britain many lives where saved all over the country by these men of the Navy army and air force, sometimes on a daily basis during WWII.
I would like to depict someone from that time frame as their work was literally hit or miss. Their techniques at the start were pretty rudimentary and every bomb or mine dropped by the germans made these guys guinea pigs on every occasion.
Small wonder that so many were awarded the George Cross, not second to, but the direct equivalent of the Victoria cross because they were not in face to face action with the enemy.

I applaud your choice of idea, I hope it gets the response it should, and almost certainly shall join in. I shall contact you again In the New year.
Regards Paul
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,481 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 11:27 PM UTC
Paul,

I apprecaite your interest and I highly encourage entries depicting EOD from around the world.

There was a great mini series call "Danger UXO" which was a story line following British Bomb Disposal during WWII. If you can find a copy I highly recommend it.

Matter of fact the US developed their Bomb Disposal School after sending personnel to Britain early in the War.

I myself an also leaning towards a WWII scene.

thanks again for your interest. Hope we have more.

Dave
 _GOTOTOP