_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Bergepanther
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 658 Posts
KitMaker Network: 26 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 - 02:42 PM UTC
G’day all
For some time now, I have entertained the idea of building another Bergepanther, having already built one some years ago based on the Italeri kit and a DML Panther A. To the best of my knowledge, the following are the only Bergepanther kits available in 1/35:
- DML make two, both Ausf D, one mounting a Pz IV turret and one mounting a quad Flak 38
- Italeri make their venerable Ausf A, which has more wrong with it than right
- ICM make two Ausf Ds, an early and a late
- Revell make an Ausf D
- Hobbyboss make an Ausf D mounting a 3.7cm Flak

It is possible to make a reasonable Ausf A, based on and/or using some of the parts from the Italeri kit, or alternatively, New TMD makes a highly detailed kit for an Ausf A, but I wasn’t about to fork out $150 for it. Besides, it makes up an Ausf A and I wanted to make a late Ausf G.
I made use of three publications in my researching for this model:
- Panzer Tracts No. 16-1 Bergepanther Ausf. D, A, G by Thomas L. Jentz, Hilary Louis Doyle, and Lukas Friedli.
- Tankpower Panther Vol . 4 by Waldemar Trojca
- Im Detail Bergepanther Teil 2 by Waldemar Trojca (written in German)

There were somewhere between 290 and 347 Bergepanthers built (sources vary), but I have yet to find any information regarding how many of each of the different variants, Ausf D, A or G, were built. Ausf G was the last variant built, and the vehicle I am proposing to build is based on a very late version Ausf G photographed in Iserlohn in April 1945. This vehicle was one of four issued to Pz. Abt. 512 on 13 March 1945, so was almost brand new when it was surrendered at Iserlohn along with the rest of 512 Pz. Abt. only a few weeks later.

The base kit is the DML Panther G late production (6268), but considerable alterations are required to this kit. The first and most important change is to the upper hull, which is almost entirely removed forward of the engine firewall, and the shape of the insert piece required was as shown in Panzer Tracts 16-1 for an Ausf G hull.

Internally, the torsion bars, are, of course, provided in the kit, but the two longitudinal strips are not, and have to be scratch built. I decided to hold off adding anything more to the interior until I receive the CMK Panther Driver's Compartment kit which I currently have on order.

On the rear hull, two brackets have to be added, which I scratch built. It's interesting to think that when the spade is in use, and the 45 ton tank is pulling a vehicle of the same or greater weight, there is enormous stress placed on the point where the spade attaches to the tank, and it is at this point that the only attachment is two pins of about 40mm diameter!

I decided that the spade in the Italeri kit bore very little resemblance to an Ausf G spade, so, using the drawings in Panzer Tracts 16-1, I completely scratch built a new one. This is in two pieces, one of which is the spade itself, and the other the two support arms. Both of these terminate in a broad flat plate, which are then bolted together.

My CMK Panther Driver's Compartment has now turned up, so there will be further updates over the next week or so.

Regards

Rob
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 - 07:37 PM UTC
Rob, quite the ambitious project. The spade turned out really nice. I'll be following this one. Thanks for sharing! Good luck & have fun !

Tom
 _GOTOTOP