_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
chubibobibo
Visit this Community
Paris, France
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 04:43 AM UTC
Hi, i'm lester and i'm a complete newbie regarding scale models. I was just thinking of reading as much as i can before starting this new hobby. Would you be kind enough to give me some key things i should focus on first before buying a kit and starting my own project. Thank you very much. Have a great day everyone
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 05:43 AM UTC
Welcome Lester!

As many have said before me ... "You've come to the right place!" This is a really cool forum with many knowledgeable members willing to share!

A brief starter:

I've seen many posts on Armorama where members recommend Tamiya kits for starting out -- they fit well and are not as complicated as some of the higher-end kits.

Go very light with glue.

Go light on paint ... step back and review your efforts in stages so that your model doesn't become a paint-clogged mess!

Take your time and enjoy the process. If things go wrong, learn how to recover.

Start a PhotoBucket image sharing account for relatively easy image uploading, so you can share your creations with fellow modelers!

And this is the part where I sign-off and leave it others to chime in with tons of useful advice!

Enjoy your new hobby!

--mike
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 07:43 PM UTC
Welcome to the hobby!
First off, older Tamiya kits are the way to go. So long as you are having fun, you are doing it right. Don't take on too much. Even small steps are strides forward. I would recommend something that has a single color paint scheme. You can advance to multi-tones as you progress. Take your time. I used to be a speed builder, before I learned the advantages of taking my time. Be ready to make mistakes. Even if you get something wrong, push on. Finish the build and learn from those mistakes. I would recommend Vallejo Model Color, as your first paint. They brush well and can be thinned, if you decide to try airbrushing. And, have fun.
 _GOTOTOP