_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
1/35 emergency vehicle light bar
khelms1493
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 32 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 05:54 AM UTC
I am converting my M1070 and trailer into a LAFD dozer tender for my meng d9r which will also be converted. I have never used clear materials in scratch building. Since the whole idea is new to me, does anyone have information on building light bars? Photos of one's they have built? And also what clear materials are recommended when assembling these scratch built items. Also is there a company that makes a light bar I can buy? Thanks!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 04:07 PM UTC
There are various colors of tinted (clear) plastic and acrylic you could use. Check at your local craft store. Another option would be a 1/24 or 1/25 light bar for a police car kit. It should fit fine since the vehicles are large. There are a few companies that make AM ones. Here are also some on eBay.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 08:19 PM UTC
Kyle,

You could head over to scalefirehouse.com for some options. There's all sorts of light bars out there in 1/25 scale as well as 1/43 scale (die-cast market)

There's quite a variation of bars in this flickr site:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/1685922@N24/pool/with/4863844317/lightbox/
Trisaw
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 11:41 PM UTC
Some of those police car forums have model makers that make custom 1/24 lightbars. I'm sure they can make a 1/35 lightbar for you as they build all their lightbars from scratch. You just have to ask them and pay.
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,539 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 07:17 AM UTC
You can try Police Car Models. He might have something you can use.

Jim
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 04:26 PM UTC
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Diecast-Toy-Vehicles-/222/m.html?item=181579258281&hash=item2a46f799a9&pt=Diecast_Vehicles&_ssn=modelguy1997

There's a bunch on Ebay.... I didn't have any luck looking last night not sure where I moved the box...
khelms1493
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 08:25 AM UTC
Thanks everyone for the input. I went ahead and pulled the trigger a while back on a 1/24 lightbar. The smallest one they had. It really looked very out of place on a 1/35, even though the kits are still pretty big. I'm thinking I may make one from parts of a 1/24. What are people using for clear parts when scratch building?
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 05:43 PM UTC
Plastruct offers some Clear stock.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 12:18 AM UTC
Like I said in my first post...

Quoted Text

There are various colors of tinted (clear) plastic and acrylic you could use. Check at your local craft store.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 01:23 AM UTC
A few years ago I did an Iraqi police pickup for a dude. As I ran into the same problems (even bought a 1/43 diecast police car to bogart the light bar) I decided to make it myself. Once you make the shape you want from styrene, make a one piece RTV mold. Then cast the part in clear resin. You can add a TINY drop or red or blue food coloring to the resin. The cool thing about this is that I had a set of LED Police flashers I bought from Tammie's hobbies outside of Portland, OR, and put the LEDS in the resin while it cured. It turned out to be a bad@$$ effect.
You can get a casting set from Hobby Lobby very cheaply. Be sure to use their online 40% off coupon.
khelms1493
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 08:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A few years ago I did an Iraqi police pickup for a dude. As I ran into the same problems (even bought a 1/43 diecast police car to bogart the light bar) I decided to make it myself. Once you make the shape you want from styrene, make a one piece RTV mold. Then cast the part in clear resin. You can add a TINY drop or red or blue food coloring to the resin. The cool thing about this is that I had a set of LED Police flashers I bought from Tammie's hobbies outside of Portland, OR, and put the LEDS in the resin while it cured. It turned out to be a bad@$$ effect.
You can get a casting set from Hobby Lobby very cheaply. Be sure to use their online 40% off coupon.

That does sound sick! You have any photos????
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 09:42 PM UTC
As odd as it sounds, I'm just not that much into showing off my work any more, especially if it's for someone else. So, no finished photos.
However, here is the original:

And here is an in progress shot:

Most of the hard work was done by this point. As you can see I used two kits to make the one, and altered the rear bumper area to look like the photos. The good news is I have four more of thos pickup kits. (I but every one on eBay I can find.)
 _GOTOTOP