_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
I'm coming back in!
NSX_guy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 01:50 AM UTC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

Well, it's been a harried couple of years since the model table and I have had a chance to cross paths, but I think I'm ready to jump back in. My primary love is modern race/sports cars, but my first passion was always aircraft.

I took my hiatus in late 2007 when my girlfriend(now wife of 6 and 1/2 years) moved into our new house. The basement was unfinished, which was perfect for my plans. Add to that job promotions and increased responsibility something had to give; unfortunately it was a hobby.

I finished the basement including my 10'x10' hobby room just in time for her to get pregnant. What can I say, I have other hobbies too. We had our first daughter in June of 2011 which obviously caused a whirlwind of activity and fun. January 2014 brought our second (and final!) little girl home. We (my wife) noticed our house was getting a little small for two baby girls, one wife, one obedient (female) dog and myself.

We bought another house, this time with a fully finished basement including a pre-finished 10'x10' hobby room (read: old bedroom)off to one side. How lucky I am to be able to have these things.

With the impending long northern winter, I was able to put some time aside two weeks ago to pull a couple of unfinished kits from the shelf and start building. First was a 1/48 scale F-14D from Hasegawa which I started in 1999 and hadn't finished. Secondly was a Corvette Grand Sport offered by Accurate Miniatures.

What can I say, it's like riding a bike. I fell back in love, even though the F-14 is a somewhat *challenging* kit to say the least. Stemming from that has been a flurry of activities, including new paints and a new airbrush. The old Aztek wasn't quite cutting it anymore. Lately every night I have been quietly going down into the basement after the kids are asleep and working away for several hours and leaving my wife to do her thing upstairs, whatever that may be.

One final thing is a big thanks to fellow board member Scrodes has been goading me into building again since I put the airbrush down all those years ago to pick it back up. Sometimes gently, sometimes not.

Thanks for taking the time to read this novel, and I will start a thread when I finish the F-14 and move onto the next project on my bench!
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 02:19 AM UTC
Welcome to the site, Sean. Sounds like you are a perfect fit, with projects ready for both Aeroscale and Automodeler. If you really want to add to your life of excitement, go for another baby. Nothing like two hands and three kids!
NSX_guy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 02:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome to the site, Sean. Sounds like you are a perfect fit, with projects ready for both Aeroscale and Automodeler. If you really want to add to your life of excitement, go for another baby. Nothing like two hands and three kids!

Thanks for the warm welcome, I've got about 100 kits to be built yet, so the stash runs deep. Before I "retired" I took the hobby far too seriously and while I won a contest here and there, it wasn't fun anymore. This time is sure to be different; especially because I am not able to devote the time like I used to.

Regarding the three kids, I'm, um, not interested. I don't ever want to be outnumbered in my own house!
2002hummer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 812 Posts
KitMaker Network: 105 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 06:36 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Sean. Glad you decided to rejoin. Good to see another Canuk on the site.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 07:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Regarding the three kids, I'm, um, not interested. I don't ever want to be outnumbered in my own house!

Three? I've just had number 6!!

The trick is in the timing. The older 2 girls are 23 and 16, so I have built in babysitters!

Great to see you returning to this great hobby and the best forum on the interweb Sean, I look forward to seeing some shots of your progress.

Cheers, D
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 07:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The trick is in the timing. The older 2 girls are 23 and 16, so I have built in babysitters!

That one cuts both ways, I'm frequently the babysitter for my daughter's 3 boys, 8ys-7mo.
Scrodes
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 771 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 05:11 AM UTC
Finally have you back building stuff. Welcome to the wonderful world of Aeroscale.
NSX_guy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2014 - 09:24 PM UTC
Thanks for the welcome all. I plan to get some time at the table tonight and knock a few things out.

I'm moving ever closer to the 1/32 scale Tamiya F-15 with big Ed kit and resin seat.
 _GOTOTOP