_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Painting resin to resemble brick/stone
DUKWsinarow
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 01:16 PM UTC
I'm attempting to replicate 'Galt Station', located in Cambridge, Ontario in 1:64th (aka. 'S') scale using resin parts from several Wiseman Models 'Gunnison Depot' kits.

The next step in the process of creating this model will be to paint the primed resin to resemble the cut (brown colored) stone lower course, whitish/grey decorative course, and the red-brick upper course.

I was wondering if any of you had experience painting resin to resemble brick and stone and if you could either share your technique or direct me to the websites describing the best techniques?

The prototype can be seen here;

http://www.ontfin.com/Word/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/GaltTrainStation.jpg

I've prepared each of the resin wall sections by cleaning up the resin casting, cutting out the windows, gluing a wood strip to the inside (which adds strength and will become the interior wall), gluing sections together to lengthen walls, and priming the resin with Mr. Resin Primer.

My plan is to detail each of the wall sections, both outside before presently gluing them together to create the 3-dimensional model, but which would also make it harder to detail the interior. I've already test fit the wall sections and ensured a tight fit and painted the wood interior walls cream. Once the exterior brick walls are painted, I plan to add wainscot paneling to the lower half of the interior wall and, once the walls are glued together, add wooden supports to the corners to hide the joints on the inside.

I'd be very appreciative for any help I can receive regarding techniques for painting the exterior walls to resemble the prototype.
 _GOTOTOP