_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Question regarding Pz.Kfw. MAUS turret
Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
entire network: 338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - 01:19 AM UTC
Hey all,

I'am currently building the DML E-100 with Maus turret, and am planning to use it for a what if 1946 scenario. I am few steps away from putting on some paint, unless I need to modify the turret. And here comes the question:

When looking from the side, the MAUS turret and the Panther turret with gun mantle (in its standard configuration) both have that semicircled shape. Seeing how the turret mantlet of the Panther G was modified to bear a chin to prevent shots from being deflected into the driver's/ radio operator's compartment, how likely is it the Germans would have kept exactly the same design flaw on an even newer design (the Maus turret)? If I listen to my inner voice, it says: "Modify that Maus turret/ gun matle to have a chin like on the Panther". Then again, I'm not overly confident I could produce something clean and plausible that will not look odd.

Any thougts? I am aware that no pcitures of the actual mouse turrets available/ blue prints etc. show such a thing. I'm just thinking that if I am to take the whatif concept seriously, I should - within the particular whatif logic - still aim for what's most realistic (I.e. no mech warriors, jet-packs etc. in 1946, but plausbile modifications yes). Within that logic I don't believe that Germans would have sticked to a flawed design feature... Help me!!!!!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - 02:05 AM UTC
The Maus was a flawed design, to begin with.
Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
entire network: 338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - 02:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Maus was a flawed design, to begin with.

I agree to that, but we're not talking about the Maus here, just the turret on E-100 chassis. Also, my question is more about armour design flaws rather than tactical/ strategic misconceptions.
 _GOTOTOP