_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Weld line tool
JoLuke
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 61 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 05:47 PM UTC
Im trying to make a tool for re creating weld line effects, I found a tool made from very thin brass piping, but im having a tough time finding somewhere that sell them, if anyone has other methods that they use im all ears, thanks in advanced
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 06:27 PM UTC
Do you have brass tubes , if not hop down to the hobby shop and get some . Cut off what's comfortable for you to work with and file the end at angle to attain a haft circle . You can use this to push the soften plastic to simulate weld beads . The size of the tube will be the diameter of the bead . Should be cheaper than store bought and makes you feel good because you made it .
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 - 01:29 PM UTC
I use stretched sprue or small gauge styrene rod, if the weld beads are recessed and should not be. Just glue the rod in place and allow to cure. I go back over it with some lacquer thinner and use the edge of a razor blade to make small gouges. You can add flush beads fairly easily, using a similar method. Apply lacquer thinner to the area that would be welded and make small gouges with a No.11 blade that has had its tip snapped off. Finally, to add raised welds where there are none, use half round styrene rod and dimple with the same procedure.
 _GOTOTOP