Hosted by Matt Leese
Badger Khrome Renegade Woes
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 12:58 AM UTC
I thoroughly clean my airbrush, in an ultra-sonic cleaner after every session. I am meticulous, breaking it down completely. It was working fine, the last time I used it. I tried to spray Tamiya acryl 1:1 with Tamiya lacquer thinner. Paint flows from the tip, but there is no air pressure. I tried water to no avail. I broke it down, completely twice more. Into the the uc it went, with some lacquer thinner. No dice. I checked the pressure valve and it is working. Everything else appears to be working. Does anyone know of something I may have missed? I don't want to shell out the cash for a new airbrush if there is a fix for the current one. BTW I am using a .30 tip and needle, with appropriate nozzel and splatter control.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 01:07 AM UTC
I had a problem with a Badger 150 that I had bought at a yard sale so obviously I had no paperwork. I sent it back to Badger and it came back with several parts replaced and working fine. Here is their website.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 02:37 AM UTC
Could be the seal around the needle is leaking and that is where all or most of your air is going. If the seal around the nozzle is leaking you should see bubbles in your paint cup. If it is the seal inside the body that seals around the needle then it needs replaced. Your only option is to send it to Badger for repairs. It should only cost you the shipping. I had to send a couple of my badgers back to get the seal replaced (they in fact replaced a few other parts) after 30+ years of use.

Cheers

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 04:06 AM UTC
Badger pride themselves on excellent customer service and so I would contact them, I believe they can offer advice and repair if needed.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 05:34 AM UTC
I have resolved the problem. The very tip of my needle was bent and etched the tip. Replaced them with different size and different splatter guard. I'll order replacements for the damaged pieces.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 06:27 AM UTC
Glad it was an easy fix.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 07:05 AM UTC
Me too. I was very worried about dishing out another $125 for a new brush.
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 09:35 AM UTC
I'll comment on Badger's repair service, as it was mentioned and I have used it. They are excellent. The only cost was shipping and they even replaced a couple of parts in it for free. If you are having trouble with your Badger and can't solve it yourself, do not hesitate to use their repair service.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 10:06 AM UTC
I encountered the same problem, today. So, it is not the nozzle or needle. I have contacted Badger and am awaiting a reply. I'm going to purchase a basic back up brush, as my bench is now stalled.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 10:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I encountered the same problem, today. So, it is not the nozzle or needle. I have contacted Badger and am awaiting a reply. I'm going to purchase a basic back up brush, as my bench is now stalled.

That might be a good idea. The downside of the Badger replacement is it could take up to a month to get your precious Renegade back

I hear Chicago Airbrush website is having a Halloween sale. That is where I got my Renegade and a Badger compressor. Saved a couple of hundred bucks timing it with one of their sales.

Cheers

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 02:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That might be a good idea. The downside of the Badger replacement is it could take up to a month to get your precious Renegade back

I hear Chicago Airbrush website is having a Halloween sale. That is where I got my Renegade and a Badger compressor. Saved a couple of hundred bucks timing it with one of their sales.

Cheers

Thanks for the tip. However, Chicago is not the least expensive, even when taking the sale into account. I can survive a month, without my airbrush. I'll just miss the deadline on a campaign.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 02:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Could be the seal around the needle is leaking and that is where all or most of your air is going. If the seal around the nozzle is leaking you should see bubbles in your paint cup. If it is the seal inside the body that seals around the needle then it needs replaced. Your only option is to send it to Badger for repairs. It should only cost you the shipping. I had to send a couple of my badgers back to get the seal replaced (they in fact replaced a few other parts) after 30+ years of use.

Cheers

Does this have a Teflon needle seal just like the badger 100 and 150 ?

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 03:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers

Does this have a Teflon needle seal just like the badger 100 and 150 ?

I thought that I had posted my findings, here. There was paint in the nozzle, that I could not see. I reamed it with a toothpick(a trick I learned from my first ab) and got the paint out. The second time it stopped working, I had the wrong needle:nozzle combination. And, I do believe the seal is teflon. However, I have not removed it and can't be sure. I'm still looking at purchasing another brush. I can get another Renegade Krome, a Paasche TG2L Talon, or(possibly) a Custom Micron. Lucky for me, my birthday is right around the corner. Oh, and I still highly recommend the Renegade Krome. Best brush I have used, so far.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 03:18 PM UTC
Better late than never , Badger has a cleaning tool 50-060 will ream out the dried paints with out damaging the tip . It's pretty universal for any size tip .
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 03:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Better late than never , Badger has a cleaning tool 50-060 will ream out the dried paints with out damaging the tip . It's pretty universal for any size tip .

I used to have one, years ago. But, it was lost in the endless shuffle. I now use the needle and toothpicks. However, if I buy the brush I want, it would be a good investment. They run something like $15. I think.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 03:59 PM UTC
I think those thing are going to disappear , nobody buys them anymore . There's also a needle tool . That and a small piece of beeswax .
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 04:08 PM UTC
Unless I mix far too thick, my ultrasonic cleaner strips everything.
 _GOTOTOP