_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
whats the best filler
JoLuke
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 61 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2014 - 06:55 PM UTC
Im currently using tamiya white for my filler, but im wondering if there's anything better on the market
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2014 - 12:23 AM UTC
There is.... Tamiya Grey...hahaha..

Seriously, I have 5 different fillers, from thick super glue, to AV white and they all do different things. You have to consider the size and dimension of the space ( is it a hole or a lip edge) and how easily you can get in there to sand off the extra. If its a seam, does your filler have the ability to flow or stay in a thin straight line as it comes out. Tamiya putties are my favorite right now as they are durable, sand well, and set up relatively quickly. I also have squadron white and green, and have similar thoughts about them alothough the green tends to be more durable than anything short of superglue. Mr Surfacer works as well, and can be laid on in a thin bead. For my experiences, the AV putty is the softest of them all and takes a really long time to harden, if it hardens completely ( might be a bad batch too). BUT, it has the added advantage of being one of the easiest to clean up... plain water while its still wet will remove excess and make sanding almost un-necessary
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 03:16 AM UTC
Bondo Red Spot Putty. It does it all. Can be thinned for tight seams. Creamy and works easily. Covers large areas without cracking. Sticks to all materials. Sands glass smooth. A $5 tube will last you years. Available at Wal-Mart or any auto store.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 03:47 AM UTC
I like Mr Surfacer 500,just brush it into the gap,after it dries,I remove the excess with alcohol and cotton swab.Just don't wait too long.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 09:46 AM UTC
Either Bondo or Mr. Dissolved Putty. Bondo allows you to add bulk. However, it may be difficult to sand and you will create quite a bit of dust. Mr. Dissolved Putty(now that I figured out how to use it) is great from shallow depressions and narrow gaps. Just let it dry for thirty minutes and shave the area with a razor knife. No sanding, no mess(except the shavings). Also, if you want to go cheap, you can use white school glue for filling the shallow depressions and narrow gaps. Treat it as described with Mr. Dissolved Putty.
RNicoletti
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 04:07 AM UTC
Jonas,

I was a fan of Bondo putty until I tried Perfect Plastic Putty.

The name says it all.

Regards,

Rich
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 05:59 AM UTC
I am a big fan of Perfect Plastic Putty as it is easy to apply in both large and small quantities and sands very easily. The putty also takes detail that needs putting on it and takes paint very well.
Perfect Plastic Putty

I will add that there is a place for many different types of filler depending on what it is needed for.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 07:46 AM UTC
Just ordered Perfect Plastic Putty. Maybe I can replace the heavy handed sanding needed with Bondo.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 10:16 AM UTC
One thing i have started to use with Perfect Plastic Putty is a hypodermic needle and syringe. I liked the inclusion of a nozzle, but I found I wasted a lot of the filler. I have found that using the needle and syringe has enabled me to add very small quantities to very exact locations.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 12:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One thing i have started to use with Perfect Plastic Putty is a hypodermic needle and syringe. I liked the inclusion of a nozzle, but I found I wasted a lot of the filler. I have found that using the needle and syringe has enabled me to add very small quantities to very exact locations.

That is one thing I like about Gunze dissolved putty. It is easy to apply in small quantities and only takes a couple of applications for large spaces. What I truly like about it is that you don't have to sand it.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 02:41 PM UTC
Give testors contour putty a try . Nice small diameter nozzle lets you put just the right amount of putty , and is real easy to work with . It can be cleaned and shaped with Tamiya lacquer thinner before it fully dries .
plasticman17
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 78 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 07:01 AM UTC
I like Perfect Plastic Putty its creamy, smooth,no odor,dries in minutes, easy to sand and it doesn't shrink...... Good stuff
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2014 - 01:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Give testors contour putty a try . Nice small diameter nozzle lets you put just the right amount of putty , and is real easy to work with . It can be cleaned and shaped with Tamiya lacquer thinner before it fully dries .

You must remember to be careful, with the lacquer thinner.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 668 Posts
KitMaker Network: 211 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2014 - 06:32 AM UTC
The Tamiya lacquer does not eat the kit's plastic . Too much might remove the putty but if you have a light touch it won't mess with anything . Mr Color thinner works also .
Hachiman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 07:44 PM UTC
Tamiya putty thinned with their lacquer thinner if needed for most gaps.

Mr. Surfacer or Tamiya liquid surface primer for small gaps or imperfections.
 _GOTOTOP