_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
Just found out the hard way
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 345 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 03:39 PM UTC
Well I just found out the hard way why we wear safety glasses often. I was cutting some excess resin off of a part when a chip flew into my eye. Obviously it hurt, a lot. Luckily the outcome was the best one that could've happened aside from the chip just falling out. My parents were able to draw it out with a tissue. And my eye still bothers me a bit. So obviously from now on I'll be wearing some sort of eye protection when working with these materials.

And for those who do not, wear eye protection. I was lucky that the chip was large enough that it didn't do much damage if at all. You may not be so lucky. Wear it! Save the pain!
Tosspot
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 14 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 10:02 PM UTC
I suppose that's 1 advantage of being an old bugger.... wearing eye glasses
JamesL27
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 202 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 03:44 PM UTC
I've never learned. I'm at work using skill saws, chop saws, table saws, and will only use safety glasses about half the time, even though I've had a couple stubborn wood chips in the eye.

The worst was when I splashed wood de-glosser in my eye. That was an ER visit. They put this suction cup thing on your eyeball that drips water through it to flush your eye out. Uncomfortable to say the least.

But no modeling related incidents for me yet, besides some slipped e-xacto cuts, but I'm only on my 4th model.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 03:53 PM UTC
Well a good way to prevent x-acto cuts is to wear gloves. But, being in the Hobby that we are, you can't always do that. What I like to do is put band-aids onto my index finger that I cut into. I put one band-aid across the tip and one around it to hold that first band aid in place. It works well for me. But you should still wear eye-popping. And always work in a well ventilated area.
JamesL27
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 202 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 04:29 PM UTC
Actually haven't drawn blood yet. I think my fingers are pretty calloused to begin with.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2014 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well a good way to prevent x-acto cuts is to wear gloves. But, being in the Hobby that we are, you can't always do that. What I like to do is put band-aids onto my index finger that I cut into. I put one band-aid across the tip and one around it to hold that first band aid in place. It works well for me. But you should still wear eye-popping. And always work in a well ventilated area.

. If the band aid are not within arms reach you could always use super glue to seal the cut togethere .
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2014 - 12:15 PM UTC
That. But I was talking about what one could do to help prevent cuts on the fingers.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2014 - 05:39 PM UTC
It never hurts to be ready .
 _GOTOTOP