_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Completely new guy
mawelch74
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 03:02 AM UTC
Morning, folks. As the title states, I'm mostly completely new to modeling. As a kid, I got a little bit into airplane models and a few cars, but the interest never stuck as I wasn't much into either of the real world machines they represented. I mostly just liked to build things.

Years have passed since then and over those years I've developed a strong interest in the ancient Roman world, particularly the later Republican and early Imperial periods, which is what hs brought me to this forum.

I would like to begin learning how to paint miniatures for the purpose of building dioramas. As I've never done this before, I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the information, types of miniatures available, processes, techniques, etc, so I'm sure I'll have some(many!!) questions going forward.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 03:55 AM UTC
Hello Matt,

Welcome! This is a great site for new modelers - lots of experience, lots of experienced modelers willing to share.

For your interest, I suggest going to Historicus Forma here on KMN.

Some specific painting threads:
Painting Discussion Groups
http://hfmodeling.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewforum&forum_id=88&page=1

I'll send some more your way.
PeeDee
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 06:15 AM UTC
Hi and welcome to the site.
It is good to hear from someone interested in figures
I do feel surrounded by wings and tracks in this hobby sometimes.
I do find it a bit strange, I paint people in uniform not tanks or planes because the uniforms are all over the internet and wonderful books, to see them 'weathered'I just look at the faces walking past me !
To see the tanks and airplanes weathered I've just had to do an 800 mile round trip to the D Day museums, (and pay my respects at the cemeteries there also).
So I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.
If you are havin real problems painting faces, have a look at my gallery of photos. If you like the style I end up with, send me a Private message, I have a step by step guide in PDF that may help.
Peedee
mawelch74
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 06:40 AM UTC
Thanks both for the welcome.

@PeeDee... I haven't even purchased my first figures yet, much less painted any. This is where I'm finding myself mostly stuck.

As my intent is to do dioramas, I'm somewhat limiting myself to the smaller(28mm, is what I think I've decided upon) figures, which then further limits me in terms of what's available on the market. There isn't much in that size in the Roman period.

Wargames Factory and Warlord Games seem to have the best options, but then I look at prices and wonder if I'm willing to put out the money on their more expensive product when I'm certain I'll muck up the first several that I put a brush to. As with most things, jumping right in is likely the best way to go, but I do have to consider the learning curve.
 _GOTOTOP