_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Cleaning an airbrush
Tosspot
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 14 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 09:50 PM UTC
Hello all,

I bought a cheap Chinese airbrush from ebay a few months ago.
As a beginner to airbrushing it served me well, I always flushed it with windex then distilled water after a session.
But then I left it for a couple of weeks before my next session and nothing...when I finally dislodged the needle I found a huge build up of gunk.
So, I am just advising that you need to pull apart and thoroughly clean you airbrush (cheap or expensive)very often.
I now do it after every session.

SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,238 Posts
KitMaker Network: 59 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 02:21 AM UTC
Yep.

Just flushing the AB out usually works OK between colors, but after a painting session, a good cleaning is always best.

Remember, all those AB demos at shows by the manufacturer's reps where the rep just sprays a bowl full of cleaner through and proclaims "Done!" are trying to sell you something. It's to their advantage to convince you that owning one of their AB's requires no effort on your part to maintain it or keep it really clean.

The baker using an AB to spray food coloring to decorate cakes can get away with just flushing her AB out every time. The same goes for the lady shooting water-soluble tanning fluids. However, the guy spraying acrylics, enamels or lacquers... not so much.

Though "hope springs eternal," and there will always be those who would be convinced otherwise... until their AB stops working.
Tosspot
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 14 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 08:38 PM UTC
I just bought an Ultrasonic cleaner on ebay for $36 and it does a fantastic job of cleaning my airbrush.
It is also fantastic for jewellery and glasses (which is how I got it past the boss)
 _GOTOTOP