_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Where/how to request review?
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 345 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 - 06:11 PM UTC
I'm just curious... I see all these reviews going up and all these reviewers making said reviews, where do you request a product to review it and how?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 06:10 AM UTC
AFAIK: Review it your self. Or just post it and hope somebody else picks up on it. For instance, I plan on reviewing the Voyager slat armor for the D9R.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 07:39 AM UTC
If you look at the review section on the homepage, at the bottom you will see where it says "Available Samples", Click the word "Samples" and it will take you to a google document where we list available samples and the progress of samples that have been sent out. At the top where the available samples are listed will be the name of the person who listed that sample and they are the person to contact reference your requests to review samples. I will be honest from the out and state that it is rare for review samples to be sent to members who have not sent in at least one of their own reviews first. The reason for this simple, it allows us to judge if a person is up to the task, as not everyone is.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 07:48 AM UTC
Submitting Reviews is as easy as we can make it. Again on the homepage in the review section there is another link at the bottom, this link will take you to a pair of links;
1. There is an E-mail address for sending in images for a review.
2. There is a link to an online review form that you fill in.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 09:51 AM UTC
Hi Mike,

Way back when I first "cut my teeth" as a reviewer, the process was that newbies first had to do a review of something they already had. Then, after your first review was published, it opened the door to the Contributors forum, where samples were offered up. These days we now have the "available samples" list on the home page, but I don't know if that is open to anyone who hasn't already submitted reviews of their own stuff.

My advice is to look at your stash to see if you have anything that a) you know a lot about, and b) hasn't got a review already. Write it up (see other reviews for general style), take some pics, and send it in! I've done reviews of older Italeri kits that everybody claims to know about, but nobody has bothered to review! Why? Because there are plenty of folk out there that HAVEN'T seen those kits, and they can benefit from a thorough review that shows them what's in the box! And since I have those kits in the stash already...

Hope this helps! And I look forward to seeing you win your spurs as a reviewer!
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 05:04 PM UTC
Thanks guys. I'm not currently planning on becoming a reviewer. I'd like to be but what with the ever-changing life of an 18 year old in college (plus I need to study up more on the subjects), I cannot. But hey, time and circumstances are ever changing, one knows not what the next day, or the next moment for that matter, holds. . Although I may try to write one up just for poops and giggles to see what I can do off the bat. Then I might as well try refining it over time before actually trying to be a reviewer. Just to amuse myself. Hey, it'd be one of the few long pieces of writing I'd actually WANT to write.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 12:52 PM UTC
Although in cardiac arrest (the topic, not me), I'm going to bring this topic up again because I'm submitting a review of a what seems to be a little known kit I have. Just because it seems to be little known.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
entire network: 1,615 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 05:39 PM UTC
Thanks for re-opening this discussion, Mikey!

Question to the editors: Would you also accept reviews that have been published elsewhere (e.g. my personal blog)? I would have a couple of kits that are not that often found nowadays.

Thanks!
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 08:24 PM UTC
We accept anything that our members choose to send in, but we do not guarantee that we will publish it. All items are assessed and the author given a chance to refine their submission if we feel it does not meet our standards on first submission. Review samples are very rarely sent to members who have not proven their ability to write a review to the standard we require.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 12:18 PM UTC
Hey Darren,

Thank you for the information!

I understand that if a review is accepted it will be published on the site but will there be any kind of feedback to the author in case the review is not of interest or it is rejected as-is for whatever reason?

Also, how long can it take until a submission is judged? I sent in two of mine about a week ago and still haven't heard back. Not overly impatient just interested to know how long this could take.

Thanks!
Cristian
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 01:54 PM UTC
From my understanding from when I was submitting, if there is anything the reviewer of the review doesn't like and it's cause for unacceptance, they'll send an email back explaining what to do to bring it up to snuff. At least that's my understanding of it.

And it seems pretty quick from submission to judging or posting. I submitted two things, a walkaround and a review, and they were both posted quickly. The review I think took a week from when I wrote it to the posting. Efficient squad KitMaker has here.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 02:01 PM UTC
Thank you, Michael! Congrats on having your submissions published

I just noticed my P-51D kit review was posted but I was looking in the wrong section all this time

Honestly, I expected to receive some kind of notification when it went live so I could follow up on questions that might get posted. But this is a minor thing, really...
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 07:59 PM UTC
The Heller kit is being edited and the Mustang is live. You sent the mustang review to Armorama and it was moved to Aeroscale.
 _GOTOTOP