_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Archer Fine Transfers - Any luck?
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 - 09:09 AM UTC
I've been racking my brain trying to get Archer Dry Transfers to work on my builds. It's been hit-or-miss for me so far — mostly miss. I follow Archer's instructional videos, so I believe I'm working correctly. Is anybody else having this problem or some advice?

Note: These are the multi-piece Afrika Korps Palm Tree insignias — can never seem to get all the bits to set down.

Thanks in advance.

—mike
Gewehr43
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2014 - 01:37 PM UTC
I'm with you. I've tried them on a couple builds. I can get the larger items like crosses and turret numbers to lay down well, but the smaller bits never seem to work. They always pull off with the backing paper or end up leaving a ton of extra adhesive on the model.

My favorite was this Sherman, whose dry transfer melted during a light oil wash. And that was after the transfer had been sealed with two coats of future.

Melty Sherman:

Nice balkankreuz:
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 12:18 AM UTC
I find with Archer transfers, it is always best to use the Medium Wet Paper and apply them like a decal. I have never had a problem that way.

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 01:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I find with Archer transfers, it is always best to use the Medium Wet Paper and apply them like a decal. I have never had a problem that way.

Hi Kevin,

The problem I'm experiencing is with multi-piece transfers i.e., Afrika Korps insignias with small separate palm tree pieces.

--mike
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 01:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Kevin,

The problem I'm experiencing is with multi-piece transfers i.e., Afrika Korps insignias with small separate palm tree pieces.

--mike

Then put them on a thin decal film, and again apply as a decal, The decal film from Archer is very good, but I have used the stuff you can get at the hobby store too. I prefer the stuff from Archer.

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 02:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Then put them on a thin decal film, and again apply as a decal, The decal film from Archer is very good, but I have used the stuff you can get at the hobby store too. I prefer the stuff from Archer.

So I guess what I need to do is move each individual (tiny) piece off of the film and onto the model one-by-one. Not sure if I'm up to the task but I'll give it a go next time around.

Thanks again,

--mike
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 08:00 AM UTC
So there actually is a problem! I just stumbled onto this on Archer's website: PRODUCT UPDATES and RECALLS

"Due to quality control issues some transfer sheets have shipped with defective adhesive. At this time we know that about 25 sheets of AR35026W and AR35026B are affected as well as an undetermined number of others. EMAIL us if you are having problems and we'll get you a replacement asap."

I just sent Archer an e-mail and I'll let you know how it goes.

—mike
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2014 - 12:53 PM UTC
I received my replacement 'Afrika Korps Insignias' today. Archer really came through as promised — great Customer Service!

I was easily able to get all of the tiny palm tree pieces onto my model with the new batch this time.

—mike
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,086 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2014 - 07:28 PM UTC
Archer's customer service is top notch, they stand behind what they sell. They sent me the wrong transfers once, they overnighted me the replacement and told me I could keep the set that they sent by mistake.
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 557 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 03:14 PM UTC
Good to read that you have solved your problem I really like their transfers.I was able to salvage my Emil sturer after ruining the stock decals.Much less frustrating to work with then decals.I plan on buying a transfer set then the appropriate model not vice versa.Anyway just wanted to add my two cents about a nice product
 _GOTOTOP