_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
My first shot at Mr. Surfacer 500
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
entire network: 1,615 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 - 03:29 AM UTC
I was working on the Eduard 1:72 Mig-15 kit the last weeks and while the kit itself is simply awesome there are those nasty little gaps when you put the wings and fuselage together.

I was kind of unhappy with the Revell Plasto I have been using in the past but I decided to still give it a go since I had it available. I guess it was the last chance it got and it ruined it.

While at a scale model exhibition in Mainz today, I picked up a bottle of Mr. Surfacer 500 thinking of giving it a go. Once home, I immediately proceeded to my workbench and applied it using a toothpick. I must say it is awesome so far! It flows into the gaps without a problem (although it's the supposedly not-so-runny 500 grade) and it levels out excellently. When dry in a few minutes, it shrinks a fair amount so you'll have to re-apply it one or two more times.

I was a bit worried about the way I'm going to remove the excess. The guy I bought this from only had the 400ml Mr. Thinner which was a lot since I only plan to use it for this one purpose. What I decided to do was to try the 50%-50% mix of pure IPA (96% pure) and tap water, I usually take for thinning my Revell Aqua paints. Guess what! It's working like a charm! I apply the IPA mix with a cotton swab, let it soak for a couple of seconds then start gently rubbing the surface alternating between the IPA soaked end and the dry end. All the excess if off in about 30 seconds.

After this first try, I'm very happy with the new acquisition!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 - 03:33 AM UTC
Nice, I enjoy using it also
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 11:51 PM UTC
I let Mr. Surfacer sit on the model for two days, without doing the cleanup. It's now virtually impossible to remove it with IPA. Looks like it's only working when you do the removal while it's still fairly fresh. Slightly scratching the surface seems to help a bit, tough. Something to dig in mind for later...
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 04:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I let Mr. Surfacer sit on the model for two days, without doing the cleanup. It's now virtually impossible to remove it with IPA. Looks like it's only working when you do the removal while it's still fairly fresh. Slightly scratching the surface seems to help a bit, tough. Something to dig in mind for later...

Try Mr Color lacquer thinner , though any lacquer thinner that does not mess with the plastic should work . I just believe their own brand of thinners works better .
BobSolo
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 04:29 AM UTC
That looks like an awesome product! I just got some 500 and the Mr colour 250 thinner too, as i was reading here:

http://www.hyperscale.com/features/2001/gekkogc_2.htm

"If there are any gaps, Mr. Surfacer 500 brushed into the gap will fill it. Smooth over the Mr. Surfacer with cotton swab dipped in Mr. Color Thinner or some 91% isopropyl alcohol. When done properly, the insert should look like any other scribing on the model."

Fillers have their uses, but this 500 product will do 95% of them a lot easier for me!
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 01:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That looks like an awesome product! I just got some 500 and the Mr colour 250 thinner too, as i was reading here:

"If there are any gaps, Mr. Surfacer 500 brushed into the gap will fill it. Smooth over the Mr. Surfacer with cotton swab dipped in Mr. Color Thinner or some 91% isopropyl alcohol. When done properly, the insert should look like any other scribing on the model."

Fillers have their uses, but this 500 product will do 95% of them a lot easier for me!

. They also make a mr dissolved putty , which just that dissolved putty . Works the same way , stir use and clean up with mr color thinner .
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 - 01:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

. They also make a mr dissolved putty , which just that dissolved putty . Works the same way , stir use and clean up with mr color thinner .

I have tried the dissolved putty. Never again. Unless the bottle was just bad, it is a horrible mess to work with. Despite constant stirring, it is very watery. I prefer using white glue, which does not even require sanding.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Smooth over the Mr. Surfacer with cotton swab dipped in Mr. Color Thinner or some 91% isopropyl alcohol.

This is what I was doing myself only that when left to dry for a couple of days, the IPA I was using (97%), was merely working. It does a great job when the surfacer is still fresh, tough.
 _GOTOTOP